Wednesday, May 30

'thing number 7' alongside 'show and tell'...

it hit ninety degrees here today (or at least that's what it felt like) and being a Brit, i don't do well in the heat...it has all gone to my head and i have decided to combine 'show and tell' with 'Thing Number 7' ("why that's just crazy talk" i hear you say). so you have two options dear readers, get out while you can or go get a nice cup of tea (or as i recommend, something stronger) pull up a chair and settle in for the long haul...

i had no choice as 'Thing Number 7' ~ QUALIFICATIONS is relevant for 'show and tell' and with out knowing the former you will not be able to appreciate why i am so in awe of my 'show and tell' this week...so here goes

i have zero, zippo qualifications, i went to school to socialize and dabble in the 'arts', sadly i left school with very little to show for my time there...went on to meet my man at seventeen, worked as a bar maid and by the time i was twenty-three i was married with our #1, by the time i was twenty-nine i had added three more...this really has never been a problem for me as i always hoped to have a large family and stay at home. but over the past few years as my little brood has become older and quite frankly (trying very hard here for the right word...let's just say i call these the 'thankless parenting years') i have become less and less content...

so basically this all leads up to 'show and tell', but first i have to tell you just a little more (are you still there?) this January i stood in the middle of my kitchen and had the biggest meltdown ever (actually not quite the middle as that would be standing on the island, i was just to the left) and this melt down was directed at my man, because if there is one person that has heard it all and still stays put it's him...my big giant 'ranting and raving and crying' session was all down to the fact that i was totally frustrated with my inability to use the computer and that unless i required these skills i didn't have a hope in hell of launching me and 'dottie angel' on the world...
although i shouted at him, really at the end of the day i was shouting at myself, and it was this moment that changed things. my man and our #1 taught me just the basics so i could get started (i didn't even know where to put the camera card thingy and how to get photos on to the computer)...so over the space of two weeks i paid attention and then i started to teach myself, the cogs in my brain started to move, the cobwebs were dusted down and most amazing of all, i started to remember it all...and after the basic website, came etsy and then came the blog...and with all this came my own space...(which we worked all weekend putting together)

drum roll please our #4 , intro our #3

and so i give to you my new 'dottie angel headquarters', at the top of our stairs just below the skylight...this is it before all the clutter has started to appear


i lined the drawers with pretty paper...


now do you see that computer on the desk...i never thought i would ever know how to use one properly, let alone own one, but i do amazingly...and the little cupboard i got earlier in the week, that will have a printer on it very soon.

so when you read my 'mumblings' or see 'new listings' in my shop, you can picture me and where it all happens. i can't even explain in words what this little space means to me, i keep going upstairs just to take a look...if you are still there reading this, then thank you for sticking it out...and thank you to gigibird and others that pointed out to me that if i didn't have the 'avoidance skills' that i have required over time, i won't be the creative soul i am today...

"not avoiding tagging tomorrow" and

"promising never to ramble on for so long again" ~ Tif

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the space, the lining paper, and the chair...lovely all! I sooo can relate to the "no qualifications" line as well as the "no computer skills" and frustrations that can result . It looks like you are coming along nicely and don't NEED either to be your forte in order for you to succeed, just the passion to continue to create which comes from your heart and is what you are really meant to do.

Hear Me Roar! said...

Oh but I LOVE it when you ramble! Every picture of your house always looks so sunny and bright, homey and lived in. We must get together again soon, even if there's not really a good reason.

Hear Me Roar! said...

I agree with you, this heat is ookie. All I can do is sit here and think about how the air is not moving at all. But yes, I will most likely be in my normal desk in my normal chair at my normal time. Your visit will be a ray of light (I thought I'd add something corny as well).

I think he only reads my blog because I threaten to write embarassing things if he DOESN'T. See, it's all in the presentation!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! How wonderful to have a space devoted to you and your business.

I was pointed here by Black Apple's blog. I love your creations, your blog and your wit. Thank you! I wish you great happiness and success!

Francesca said...

I thought you said you had blogger's block this week!
This is a very inspiring post Tif, you really are an inspiration to all those people who wish they could turn their passion into their job.
AND...you've been with 'your man' since you were 17!...this is very very special.
Love your little pastel coloured haven.

Stephne said...

Hi, you certainly fooled me, i thought you had been at it for ages (computers) i had my first in 2000 to surf the "tinter-web" to buy a house as i have a complete aura clash with 95% of estate agents. I am glad i am not alone in thinking school was there for anything other than dressing up and dissing school uniform, smoking in the toilets, getting suspended for beaching hair and discussing important weekend social events...so i was right all along!!!stephne x

Kristy said...

I think I'm just entering the thankless parenting years.I'm scared.Will you sit in your beautiful space and help me through it?
That desk is such a beautiful colour and the paper is gorgeous.
I have qualifications but in all the wrong subjects.They are really overated I think!

Anonymous said...

Your space is beautiful ... I just love reading your blog!
:) laura

geriann said...

congrats, tif on your own space...and on clearing out those cobwebs - the world would surely be a sadder place without your voice (and creations of course) - keep on keeping on - and try not to melt in the heat...
much luv
geriann
ps you have obviously picked up a great many skills - maybe there isn't a degree attached to them but being a momma to four and motivating yourself to run your own business while staying true to you takes some skills sista'.

Casey Maura said...

what a cute and cozy looking sewing space!! :) i'm in the midst of redoing mine (currently a mish-mash of a blonde wood 1950s sewing cabinet and a old wood four-drawer piece), and this is quite inspiring. :)

i know i say this every time, but keep up your blogging; i enjoy reading your rambles, thoughts and creative ideas! :)

Gigibird said...

I love your Dottie Angel work zone. I am making my own little area – I should be doing it now rather than ‘surf’
It’s funny how when we have a ‘meltdown’ moment as you so nicely put it momentum happens.
Learning new skills can sometimes be difficult, not because you are thick but because of mental blocks, assumptions that we all have that sometimes need challenging. Your blog is a credit to you and so is your creative flare:)

Betty said...

I'm just envying the fact that you are able to have your "own space" with four kids in the house!

dottie angel said...

that's 'american new builds' for you!!