Monday, May 21

i know i'm slowly losing it...

it's all because of Manda really, she had to go and show the picture of the japanese book store she visited in NY on her lovely blog... so on Saturday in between all the chores, i persuaded my man that he really needed to take me to our local japanese bookstore. he gave me one hour on the meter and i headed in the door and spent every minute of my hour in a state of 'heart racing, hands clammy and just a little bit dizzy'. even though i adore the crafts they feature, it's also the colors they use, the sleeve covers, the paper, the background settings and all the props for the pictures that just overwhelm me with the need to create (in fact i would be quite happy just living in one of these books)...i collected nine of these treasures and my man said "Tif, try to put at least one of these back, go on see if you can". i replied clutching my pile to my chest "are you mad, have you gone insane, if i leave this bookstore without all of them, i don't think i will continue to breathe, in fact i feel faint right now just thinking about it" (this was said with a mad crazed look in my eye, just so he got the message loud and clear)..




so the money i had been putting aside to buy a pair of "perfect with any outfit, not too high, possibly red or maybe silver" wedges for the summer was used to cover the enormous cost of my new books. later that night when the house was sleeping, i watched my pile of books and carefully looked through a few pages and then my eye caught this ...
so on sunday, when no one was looking i stole one hour again to myself in my studio and ran myself up a summer apron skirt using an old cotton skirt like this (but brown), a thrift store anthro napkin, one fat quarter, some off cuts of cotton and a very tatty bit of lace...




i plan to do this to all my 'seen better days' summer skirts, and my girls will no longer be able to call me "a bag lady" (not cause i have a nice array of bags, but because i mainly dress like one) no, they will now have the excitement of being seen out with their 'old mum' wearing her apron skirts!!

now i just have to work out a way of getting some cute wedges to go with them...Tif

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVE your skirt! That is absolutely beautiful!
But lets get serious here - I don't have that book, and I must have that book (because I don't have enough!), which one is it?Huh? Which one? Which one? (it's a sickness right?)

Kristy said...

Tif that skirt is amazing.You really do inspire me!

Anonymous said...

I really love your skirt!!!
I will help contribute to your shoe fund this weekend...a perfect excuse to buy something pretty from your shop.
:) laura f

Roobeedoo said...

That is one gorgeous skirt! Which book did it come from?

Lucykate Crafts... said...

i know what you mean about the japanese craft books. until a few weeks ago, i didn't actually own any, but then my husband visited singapore and brought back 14 books and 4 magazines. he said he could have brought more but would have had to pay too much in excess baggage. i find the layout in them as interesting as the items featured.

i will visit your blog again, i'm very taken with your embroidery.

oldflowers4me said...

you have made my heart beat very fast- i love what you said,your petticoats are divine , have you done any work on old cardigans- your world is very beautiful.in australia , i havent seen any of these fantastic books,i like that you recycle. hop skip and jump- love jo.

Violette Crumble said...

Can you please be my personal seamstress/designer?

That skirt rules, as does your whole blog. You inspire me to keep working and creating.

I also get obsessive about the Japanese craft books (and fabric). I actually keep a pile of each next to my bed because at night I like to look through it all before I fall asleep.