Friday, May 18

the missing door...

you know when you have one of those days when it doesn't go according to plan and you just end up kind of 'cross' and 'frustrated'...well that's me tonight. last week, when i was in urban outfitters with our #1 who was looking for a pair of microscopic shorts, i came across this...



i ummed and aahed for a while, as i tend to steer clear of the 'angel' connections, but then as our #1 was in the changing rooms trying several pairs of microscopic shorts on, a lightening bolt hit me. these would be perfect for solving my photographic issues that have plagued me ever since i started Etsy . living in Seattle is much like living in old blighty, quite frankly the light is crap for taking photos inside or out...and then when the sun does come out it is so blinding you can't get a decent shot either. now i am sure if i actually knew how to take photos and use the camera it would not be a problem. but i don't because i haven't bothered to read the manual...what i would like the camera to do is to preform some kind of magic and just produce fabulous arty pictures...so my brain lighted upon the idea of attaching this 'angel wing hook' to an old door that i could then move around the house or outdoors for the best light and hang slips from...

so today, my friend Beth and i set out on a mission to find said 'old door', i knew just the place in Seattle, had been there several years back and it was full of wonderful reclaimed and salvaged bits. only problem was, i couldn't quite remember the name or exact street. several hours later we finally find the building that we were looking for only to find it had be turned into a modern kitchen store!

hence my frustration, i spent a day looking for a place that doesn't exist, do not have the door that i was really looking forward to working on this weekend and then when my man arrived home, only to listen to "well surely you looked it up on the web first"

off to sulk...see you monday ~ Tif

8 comments:

Stephne said...

qxqHi, Dottie
i have just come across you from i can not remember where! but i just wanted to say i love your "stuff", it is really lovely. I sew for my supper also, i have not been blogging for long and love it when i find inspirational work, i have been around for what seems forever and there is an awful lot of same old-same old out there, i will be keeping a beady eye on you with best wishes Stephne

Hear Me Roar! said...

This is the kind of thing my Mom is perfect at, I'll put her on the case. She has an old house (by Washington standards) so I'll find out where the good door places are.

dottie angel said...

i knew i could rely on the 'angel' in the bank...just let me know the places and i'll be there !

Hear Me Roar! said...

Okay, my Mom's on the roof and not accessible by phone, but the store I was thinking of is called the Re-Store in Ballard. Online they still show as open, I've been in there and I think it's what you want. Chrvk them out at: http://www.re-store.org/ballard.htm

Anonymous said...

That sounds very much like an adventure I would embark on...absolutely unsure of the location of the old-door store.

The new hook is a great idea! And for what its worth, I think you've been doing a bang-up job with your product photography so far (despite the low-light conditions, etc.). I mean, as good as they can be without ME to model all the pieces ;)

xoxo

Kim -today's creative blog said...

I featured you on my Creative blogs today. I can't believe what you can do with a slip. Amazing.

Please mention your feature on your blog. :)
http://todayscreativeblog.blogspot.com

Iris said...

Was it the Restore in Ballard? It's just behind a car part store (or maybe it's a Les Schwab?) Just south of Market on the east side of 15th (I believe. The road that turns into the Ballard Bridge, anyways.)
It's one of my favorite places to go and browse around when we're in town. My DH buys old hinges and we got all of our socket/lightswitch covers for our house there.
I'm going to have a poke around your site. I love what I've seen so far!

dottie angel said...

thanks, knittingiris i will take a look...