Thursday, May 31

me, my flouncy skirt and an 'angel in disguise'...

'miss lady luck' shined down on me and my flouncy skirt today...i left the over heated house to venture out on a 'top secret mission'. i had a rendezvous with an 'angel in disguise' (now if you didn't believe they existed before, i have no doubt after you have read this that you will)
the 'angel' went by the name of Priscilla and she had contacted me after she saw the newspaper article...(i did have a rather nice amount of emails from lots of lovely people saying how much they loved hearing about Etsy and how inspired they were)...but Priscilla had something else to share. dear readers ( i love saying that, i guess you have noticed) she had a collection of vintage slips, nighties, dresses and linens that she thought i might be interested in...

and so i pulled up my 'not so pretty van' into the parking lot and in the name of 'dottie' i met up with a complete stranger...but do not fear for me, i had detected in our correspondence that this lady was just like me...an avid 'slip' collector. in fact it turned out that she had spent many years selling on Ebay, but was heading back to college...and so in the searing heat, we moved the bags from her trunk to mine ( i can imagine someone walking by looking at us suspiciously, possibly taking pictures as evidence) and then we parted ways, but not before discussing the beauty of vintage slips and the fact that she would happily venture into thrift stores in the name of 'dottie' to find more treasures...

at home, the full extent of my 'lucky lucky day' unfolded in my bedroom...my man has never seen so much ladies under garments on his bed before (i am a PJ kind of girl, so sorry to burst the bubble...Tif sleeps in PJ's, dottie sleeps in the slip..)...so here are a few pictures that really do not do any of the garments justice... i just kept on piling them up, so underneath is more...in fact as you browse them, i shall go and do some counting...be back in a mo...




i'm back now and this is the count..
  1. full slips - 26 (just beautiful, the details and hemlines are wonderful)
  2. nighties - 10 ('nellies' and 'noras' in the making...)
  3. dressing gowns - 11 (not sure if i will be able to use them, but putting my 'thinking hat' on)
  4. dresses - 2 (perfect for customizing)
  5. french knickers - 1 (need i say more...)
  6. wedding dress - 1 (having a think on this one too)
  7. lace cape - 1 (interesting and thinking if i can use the lace trim...)
  8. bed jackets - 2 (sweet and would make lovely evening jackets)
  9. half slips -1 (just right)
  10. linens, doilies and hankies - (too many to count)
some of these are so pretty as they are, i'm not sure i have the heart to 'do my thing' and did you see amongst it all, the four nighties that will make beautiful 'garden summer frocks'...i shall leave you with the vision of my bedroom, haven't worked out where to put it all...or how we are going to sleep tonight, but who really cares...

"feeling very lucky, am convinced you are all 'believers' now and still looking for her pesky cutting tool" ~ Tif

11 comments:

Casey Maura said...

wow!! you're one lucky gal!! :) I can't wait to see what lovely creations you come up with... especially with those dressing gowns! :)

Anonymous said...

Gosh, if you want any more I have some I'd love to give you :)
laura

dottie angel said...

laura, i would be delighted if you would like to off load some slips in my direction...why don't you drop me a line at tif@dottieangel.com and we can talk details etc...this really is my lucky lucky day!!

Anonymous said...

anything in there a larger size??? cause I'm DYING to have one of your lovely things but alas, most vintage slips are just not very big. :( hmmm, maybe i'll have to begin a search and send you some larger ones

Hear Me Roar! said...

I've always liked slips, and used to squeeze my ample behind in some just like the ones in the picture. But to see them all laying there in there lovely etherealness, the colors so soft and feminine (LOVE the blue)... I can see why people end up with gobs and gobs of them. It's enough to make a girl go on a dottie diet, just to fit into them all. HEY, now THAT'S an idea! I'll get back to you on that one...

Francesca said...

bloody hell (am i allowed to say that on your blog?). What a lucky lady...anyone got any random pieces of wood and japanese paper they need to get rid of?!

I love the white nighty close-up, so pretty, reminds me of 'the sound of music' for some reason.
i'm excited about the capes, bed jackets and dressing gowns.

Tracy x said...

What a stroke of luck!
I,m sure one of these creations in the making has my name on it x
Have a great weekend.
Tracy x

Christine said...

What an amazing find! - thats going to keep you busy, I LOVED the nellie dress you made and would love one, so will keep a lookout in your shop.

Unknown said...

That is so funny, because as I was out thrifting the other day I came across some slips and wondered if you ever needed people to hunt them down for you...I pretty sure you could put out a call to blogland for slips and get more than you know what to do with...

jungle dream pagoda said...

What astonishing treasures! Bed Jackets are my personal faves,though the weather is a bit too hot for them right now.I even posted how to wear them a couple of months back!
Lucky angel indeed!

Gigibird said...

I believe more and more that if you focus on somehting it will come to you...(maybe this is why I am currently over run with mice!)
Anyway, that lot should keep you busy for a while!
Tell us what you need and you may find one of your readers has a bag of it they want to find a home for...