Wednesday, February 10

me and my glue sticking ways...

before i got sidetracked by
and
i had planned to bring you the thrilling adventures of moi and my glue stick.
ah yes, dearest readers i am in love with a glue stick and if you are sitting comfortably then i shall begin...


last week when i was looking for my 'lost groove' amongst the shelves of despair,
i rounded the corner from towels to furniture and blocking the aisle was a little table.
the little table spoke to me.
she told me of a time when she had been loved,
but alas was now forgotten.
she also informed me that she was a solid little table made of oak, no less.
(i'm not sure about the oak bit, but i didn't want to hurt her feelings on the matter so i just nodded, knowingly)
after she had finished her little 'please, please help me' speel,
i got down on my knees and looked at her under bits, shifted her around to see if all her legs were level and matching.
i then told her,
yes indeed she was a sturdy little table but it would appear i had no need for her solid ways and promptly pushed her back under the shelf, tucked out the way so i could get past.

now before you 'gasp!' and hang your heads, saddened to think the Tif you read about today is not the Tif you know so well. in my defense we must remember i had lost my groove at this point, i was drifting without direction, i was unable to give a little table the love she deserved and yes, i will admit it, i was heartless and cold.

on my return to the Shed, the little table haunted me,
she knew that i knew she had potential, a thing i respect.
she knew that i knew, she had shuffled out into the aisle purposefully to find me.
she knew that i knew, i needed her even though i didn't know it at the time.

("blimey Tif, this is another epic tale" i hear you exclaim
"i know and i haven't even got to the glue stick bit yet, so perhaps you may care to take your pea soup off the boil and come back, for you are in for a long haul" i kindly suggest)

i was left with no option.
i needed to go back,
i needed to find the little solid table,
i needed to beg her forgiveness
and
i needed to bring her home to Mossy Shed...

all the members of my clan had an opinion on the little table that stood in my studio waiting for her moment to shine.
i'm pleased to report, most were favorable.
they appreciated her solid ways and marveled at how one doesn't find a little oak table everyday at the thriftstore of such delicate proportions.
(ah yes, i feel i have brought them up well)
it was the oldest member of the Shed who let me down, his eyes alighting upon her, exclaiming "oh no Tif, not more crap! i can't move for crap these days. please why?"
i chose to ignore him, which i think in these circumstances is the best way to go. after all he does not possess what we do... alas he was not granted the 'gift of vision' when it comes to thrifty finds, bestowed upon us by the thrifty gods. yes we are the choosen ones and we must be kind to the folks in our lives without 'gifts' such as ours.

after four coats of glossy soft white paint, showing off her lovely little feet and underskirt, she appeared to need something else.


she needed something pretty on top.
i knew what i wished it to be, i wished it to be the most loveliest of vintage wallpapers but alas my stash is rather lacking, and no piece was large enough.
i pondered,
i procrastinated
and then
i had an epiphany
why yes indeedy, the very thing i needed was lurking in my drawers.
(ha! do you like that line, me too!)
armed with nothing more than a glue stick
(actually two, as one was rather low, so i had to rustle around in a few other drawers to locate another to finish the job)
origami paper
and a pencil
i got to work.



the edges were a little tricky, and they are certainly not perfect



but at the end of the day after much patience and a coat of varnish, my little table is looking rather lovely.


she has become a much needed extra surface for myself and Miss Ethel, fitting in quite nicely indeed.



now i'm not saying that a glue stick and origami paper is perhaps the most robust of surfaces, but in the case of my little table, where she will be gently used and cared for by myself, allowing no other clan member to treat her harshly, i'm thinking she has a long life ahead of her, being the solid little number made of oak, that she is...

she is thinking if only she could do the same with a thrift store dress she would be onto a winner ~ Tif

51 comments:

A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie said...

Oh, I love it! I'm gonna have to buy a glue gun - watch out chair, table door!

http://girlwhimsy.blogspot.com

Floss said...

She's great, Tif, and she seems to be a long-lost sister of a small bookshelf my MIL painted white back in the '70s! (Now gracing our corridor.) Lovely find...

Francesca said...

you must be some kind of genius. this is so fabulous and i am amazed by the edges! they look pretty darn good from here. and the pattern goes so perfectly with the curtain behind.
you should send it to design sponge's before & after feature. x

Anonymous said...

I love her little feet. I think she is lovely.

Sherri B. said...

What a sweet little table. How precious poking out from under the bigger mommy table just like a little chick from under the hen. There's nothing better than to have another surface to spread out projects on.

Good Girls Studio said...

Sturdy side table is adorable! You could always give her a coat of ModPodge on top to make your wonderful work more durable.

Carol said...

Wow, how perfectly lovely.

teddybearswednesday said...

the little table looks gorgeous with her new lease of life!! she looks so happy too!

emma said...

hey, great job on the table. Did you coat the paper with something, it looks kind of glossy? I love the way it fits in under the big table, very handy indeed.

gold fawn said...

looks lovely!! did you sand her before applying the white?

Jennifer said...

Oh, it's gorgeous. What a beautiful table and the origami paper top is perfect. Well done!

louise35flower said...

I love this and the way it tucks under the bigger table, like a small child. Who would have thought a glue stick could produce something so lovely?

dottie angel said...

thank you dearies :)

i did indeed sand her before applying her little coat of white. not a great deal but just enough to give it a key.
and the origami paper has been sealed with a layer of clear gloss varnish, hence her sheen and durability... hope that helps :)

and fran,
you have me blushing!

Kassi said...

it's beautiful!
very impressive!

Lisa said...

Great post! Glue guns are so fun and your table looks lovely.

Laura said...

I love it!! I unfortunately don't have the patience to do something like this myself but I absolutely adore what you've done!!

xxx

dottie angel said...

thank you again my dearies...

just so you know, i used a glue stick that my kids use at school. you know, the sort that twists up like a lipstick. it appeared to do a good job at keeping the origami paper where it was supposed to stay :)

Leah said...

I cant belive she fits in so well, it just wouldnt happen that way for mio. Love the paper.

Aimee said...

Just lovely! I have only just discovered your blog, thanks to the clever Jen over at Made By Girl. I will not be achieving much at work today while I continue to soak up all the gorgeousness you have on show here! x

Nuts To You! said...

You are amazing!

Patricia said...

How beautiful !!!

Sara said...

Gorgeous! And it fits so perfectly under your desk, you were meant to be together.

Secondhandrose said...

smack me upside the head! Origami paper! It looks great. And that was kind of you to not take it out on "the-ungifted-one". Come for a visit.

karen

Leah said...

I love that table! Too cute. :D I've become an avid admirer of your style & blog.

figwittage said...

i am so jealous of your thrift store finds! it must be lovely living in a large city with many thrift store gods watching over you :) i am looking for a round side table with three legs. i love painting furniture (when appropriate.) i love your table and all your creativeness.

Aimee said...

Just wanted to let you know I mentioned your fab blog over at my place. Thanks for a great new read ♥ http://livelushlaugh.blogspot.com/

GerryART said...

Lovely Post.
Very Lovely Table.
with
Lovely Legs and Dainty Feet.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Great job! I'm the second to comment that I like her little feet.

dining room table said...

Why is that mine does not look good like yours? LOL Yours is more beautiful! I like the color too!

Rachel Knoblich said...

I'm so in love with your blog and decorating style. I decorate shabby chic...and am loving what you do. It's chic with a boho/70's flair. Loving it!

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

Oooh, I love it. She fits right in with the rest of your pretty studio.

~ Jennifer

Jeanee said...

Your edges look great to me!

littlechrissy said...

Beautiful. You're so clever.
Chris x

Tiina Konttila said...

Oh my gosh, she's so pretty! Peeking out curiously from under there with the little feet and flowers on top <3

Margith said...

Just beautiful, I love it.

Nadine said...

Love the table. Well done for rescuing it!!!

Hausfrau said...

What a delightful table transformation!

Jikkes said...

What a GREAT idea!
I have to say, I LOVE your house, your style, the colors, your blog.....everything!
I think you have a new FAN =)

X Maureen

cerebral e said...

I have that exact same origami paper (orange, green and pink, right?) I love using it for crafty projects.

Anonymous said...

what a little beauty!

Elissa said...

i think, from her grain, that she may be a good maple rather than an oak. either way, she is beautiful and perfectly perfect all spruced up. so glad you saved her and that you are kind to those without your vision. i am actually THRILLED to see this process, as i have a little (not so sturdy, but useful) old piano bench that i am in the process of trying to spruce up a bit. the top is not so good, but this may be just the trick i need!

mamas collection said...

I do so thank the sweet little table for helping your find your groove....

Stace and Joey said...

Oh! Envious is all I can say! I am sure she feels loved now!! You are truly amazing!

dottie angel said...

i have read your lovely comments this morning to my little table and she is blushing away, feeling most special indeed! having been tres busy with Miss Ethel over the past few days she has shown her worth and been most 'handy' whilst looking pretty... i'm most happy i went back for her :)

Sue said...

You were obviously meant for each other the way she fits perfectly with your sewing table.

Sue

Michelle said...

And what fine legs she has!!!
Just love it Tif...
and I too wish a glue stick or no less sticky tape would whip up a creation from my closet...
I bought some blue stripped ticking from the fabric shop yesterday...
and I see a skirt just waiting to be made...Alas I think I also need to find someone to make it...lol...

Trixie@ the vintage bothy said...

Thank goodnes you went back!
Tracey x

Anonymous said...

So pretty, Tiff! I am in the process of painting a little desk and bemoaning the fact I economised on the paint, I'm on the fourth coat! I might try the paper treatment for the interior to save my sanity!

Mermaids of the Lake said...

She is a beautiful little table!

Mermaid Debbie

Dolores said...

soo nice, I adore your blog - and I will blog about this in my german blog: 7sachen-magazin.blogspot.com
maybe you want to have a look!
dolores

Okispice said...

That came out just beautifully! Would a coat of Mod Podge be just the thing to protect the paper top?