Thursday, February 18

when we were young...

if you are sitting comfortably, then i shall begin...

every year as a young child, i would spend my summer vacations on the coast of Cornwall in a small fishing village, with my three older brothers and my folks.
as far as i can remember, our two weeks of holidaying consisted of
~ early morning walks to the next village for newspapers and fresh bread
~ day after day playing on the beach building walls to stop the tide from coming in
~ one of us getting sun burnt despite my mother's careful two hourly applications
~ the sun always shinning and it never, ever raining
~ going to the pub in the evening for a packet of crisps and a bottle of coke
~ staying up late playing cards and board games
~ spending pocket money on shell creatures with glued on 'googly' eyes
~ wearing fishermen smock tops in red and blue
~ and new clogs


("lordy here we go again" i hear you sigh)

that's right dearest readers, for as long as i can remember summer vacations as a child meant a new pair of clogs.
we would take a trip to the big town nearby, climb the windy narrow pavement, risking life and limb with the lorries careering past and venture into the Clog Shop.
where upon the noise of the high street would fade away and i would be transported to Clog heaven...
i would gaze at all the lovely pretties lined up before me, marveling at how Sweden must surely be the best place on earth to live, as everyone wore clogs upon their feet.
then after a while of 'marveling', my mother and i would chose a pair and leave, clippity clopping out of the shop to spend the next year wearing our clogs with great pride.

one such year, upon entering the Clog Shop i spied a pair to equal no other pair of clogs i had owned before.
my feet once again having grown, required me to peruse the shelves of 'clog heaven' and make a choice,
but there was no choice to be made that day, only the pair before me would do,
for i could see no other clogs,
just the pair that called my name, telling me i was the chosen one.
yes indeedy, a patchwork brown and tan pair needed my feet and my love.
i left that day, with my 'true loves' on my feet and a skip in my step...

soon after, my family moved home thus resulting in a change of schools midyear.
i dressed myself aged 10, most finely i felt, for my first morning.
upon my feet, my trusty patchwork clogs.
that day was the first day in my life i saw myself through eyes belonging to others,
my beautiful 'pride and joy' clogs appearing to be a cause of amusement for my new classmates.
i came home,
i took my clogs off,
i placed them in the cupboard
and
i never took them out again.
my childhood affair with clogs was over,
there would be no more summer trips to Clog heaven for me...

but dearest readers do not despair, nor weep into your little hankies,
for we all know a good tale must have it's element of sadness, but with luck, a good tale also turns out just dandy in the end.
and this little tale is no exception...
yes indeedy,
for that 'clog loving' little girl,
who was knocked down so long ago,
and
who took quite a while to get back up,
(actually 31 years to be precise)
is standing tall and happy today,
thanks to the mighty fine vintage clog aisles on Etsy!


that's right my 'clog loving' dearest readers,
the most beautiful, bright, perfectly sized,
secondhand Swedish clogs have found me.


to think, they were waiting out there in the world, sensing that one day Tif would be on her thrifty, handcrafted year.
that i would turn back to the path that leads to Clog heaven,
that i would long to hear the 'clippity clopping' of wooden souls upon the ground beneath
and
that i would go searching for some 'perfectly peachy' clogs to call my own again.


i'm so tres delighted with my new found friends that i crafted them a 'little sunshine sack' to match, to show them i'm commited to our long life together and so they may cut 'quite the dash' upon the streets of my home town...


she sees the peachiest of 'clog heaven' summers ahead for her and her little sweeties ~ Tif
footynote: now would not be the time to mention that little olive also loves my clogs, that little olive and her pesky ways has taken such a liking to my clogs that alas, they are now sporting a rather sad looking wound.
i am also thinking now would not be the time to confess at the point of discovering rather sad looking wound, i said some very wrongful things to little olive, such things as "i'm calling the hot dog factory" and other such unforgiveables when talking to a sausage dog, yes i am thinking now is not the time...

57 comments:

Deb Robertson Writes said...

[sigh] RED CLOGS.... my goodness! I'm in love :)

M* (Melanie) said...

OH Tif, words can't express how much I love your tales. This one is up there with my favourites. They are fine looking red clogs indeed and I am glad that they have found you.

Christina Lowry said...

Oh yes, my Mum made my clothes as a child and I got to pick out the fabric and the patterns. I thought I was so very clever until I saw the disapproving looks at school. Handmade clothes? When everyone else was wearing Nike clothing? For shame. My Mother makes the most beautiful clothing too and at that time was working making wedding dresses. How I wish I could pick out the patterns and fabric for all my clothes now! :)

The clogs are divine, no wonder you muttered such things, I am sure I would have said much worse.

kurrabikid said...

Those clogs are lovely! A great find.

Kristen said...

yay for your new clogs! theY are ADORABLE!

~Kris said...

I am so jealous. I wish I had your legs so I could wear lovely little clogs with socks. Maybe in the next life...

glenn said...

Tif, you are so very funny! And I do love your style. Those girls at your school need to hear about the hot dog factory, and I need some of those clogs!

Sherri B. said...

Oh Tif, I could weep with joy for you and your treasured find.

Momichka said...

I love your blog and I love your lovely red clogs :)

I had white ones, once.

:)

xo.sorcha.ox said...

Congratulations on finding such a lovely pair of clogs, Tif!
~S.

Molly Wiecks said...

oh my, that is a fun, funny story. I love the clogs, ADORE the matching "sunshine sack" and your footynote had me CRACKING UP!

Fran said...

Gasp - they are gorgeous! Shock horror - the wound, the wound........they still look delightful on - phew.

Amanda said...

hi Tif,
i'd like to join your challenge.

you have a lovely blog by the way, i'm glad i stumbled across it :)

Amanda

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

Your clogs are so pretty. But, what a naughty little Miss Olive!

I had brown clogs when I was about nine or ten. (I still have them, I loved them so much.) I remember in the fourth grade, wearing them to school proud as can be to clip-clop around! Sadly to say, my story is very similar to yours...and I wore them one day.

I'm thinking some kids just don't understand the fun in them! :)

~ Jennifer

Francesca said...

what a clogly story tif. i'm so glad you've rediscovered your love of clogs. no-one is laughing now. they are beautiful. x

Amanda said...

sorry forgot to say i will start 1st of March ...i need a futon b4 then

Unknown said...

damn! they fit you perfectly... ;)

Kristi said...

You lucky girl in clogs! cute leggings by the way.

Unknown said...

Hello, what a nice story and what a nice pictures too. I like the outfit that you are wearing (also the lovely bag).

dutch girl said...

No, this is indeed not a good time to tell us that the new loves of you life are a bit...
We have a little dog too, she also took "I love you to pieces" a bit too literally sometimes. Until, one day, i had tied a thread to a lid of a not so new pan, put the lid on a small footstool where my alas damaged shoes laid, and then with the thread in my hand i waited patiently until our little muppet could not resist to hug my shoes a little too passionate. When she had approached my belongings an made a first lick i pulled the string and shouted NO!!!. Until then i did not know how high a puppy could jump: like a little lamb. Needless to mention the fact that she has NEVER approached one of our shoes so close again.

Bee said...

Hi Tif,

I hope the lovely red clogs are not too wounded. Little Olive was Naughty Little Olive yesterday then! You can't live with 'em,and can't live without 'em (dogs that is), not the clogs or should it be the clogs! I am delighted that you found a recycled pair and hope they have lifted your spirits.

Bee x

Nina said...

They are P E R F E C T !!!! Congratulations!!!

willywagtail said...

Hahaha! Great to seeyou have refound your true love. Kids can cause so much damage to each other and often unwittingly.
PS one of our little "Olives" has an undie fetish. Eeuuw! But maybe that is cheaper than clogs. Maybe!

emma said...

oh, they're perfectly lovely, I'm very envious. They look to be in great shape, too, for second-hand. Well, apart from that little nibble mark. Lucky it's on the inside!

A Bun Can Dance said...

Dear Tif, It makes my heart sing that you have found this most gorgeous and desirable pair of clogs! Just the best clog colour in the whole wide cloggy world!!!
In my world all shoes/boots should be red or green..... ;-)
But what can I say about the pesky ways of Olive...? I do most sincerely hope and pray that you have a highly talented and skilled shoe repair man down your way, as it looks like a highly skilled repair job.....
Be hopeful! You found the clogs and I am certain-sure that the oh-so-clever repair man is out there someplace not far from Mossy Shed...
Happy days,
Denise
x

Scented Sweetpeas said...

What gorgeous clogs! Sorry to hear about the wound , I too have had many a shoe wounded by our dogs ggrrrr :-(

deb did it said...

I am a new follower to your blog, and I adore this series. You inspire me! Thank you.

mamas collection said...

And there are those that say there is no God......
How happy am I for you?!

Jennifer said...

I used to spend holidays at Cornwall when I was a child as well, I absolutely loved them. Beautiful clogs, that's fantastic that you have fallen back in love as they are gorgeous. Really pretty bag as well.

ingrid said...

i'm so glad you've come back to clog heaven. i would not know how to live w/o my clogs. congrats on those beauties even with that new wound, i'm sure it was out of love!

silverpebble said...

Ah I have a little tear in my eye for the arrival of your little red twins with their STart Rite-style leafy cut outs.

I too was bedecked in fisherman's smocks and clogs as a child. At the time I did not much relish it, although I did enjoy the clippy-clop of my little red clogs. Now I see the error of my ways.

Elsa said...

oh, I do love my clogs ... live in them (a point of fact, everyone will tell you I do). they aren't Swedish clogs, but I love them! yours are lovely, I'm sure, even with the sad looking wound (they just can't help themselves sometimes). Thanks for sharing the way you do ... love your blog!

SaRaH said...

I adore the dress and the leggings!
and the clog, of course.
Nice match.

How strange, my word verification is "SOMMAR" !!!!!! summer?

cheltclaire said...

i remember the more plasticy clogs that were open toe!!(mine were red) i used to wear them to school on a wednesday when we had to go swimming and probably thought that i was the bees knees - well i did have my pink jelly bag with me too!!!

L(i)ebenswert said...

Wow, I like these wonderful red clogs as much as you and clogs are my favourite footwear too. But I haven't got any pair of them, because I don't wear leather. And I search and search and don't find yet any vegan clogs. I like yor stories :-)

Sorry for the taste of my English ;-)

Liebenswerte Grüße
Stephie

Julia said...

I love your clog story, you write such fabulous posts and it reminded me of my own childhood when we would get 'special canvas shoes' for the holidays.
Your new ones are delicious, and you look marvellous in them!

Julia x x x

Tracy x said...

dearest t...
i have a word of advice for you..
never
ever
wear clogs whilst climbing a ladder..
i did and it ended badly ...
for me not the clogs..
the clogs were fine..
so
clearly clogs can survive a drop from a ladder but not a hound :)
send little olive to me - i have clogs that she is welcome too x
t x

wood & wool stool said...

Hej Tif, I just love your red clogs and you better check this!
http://www.swedishhasbeens.com/
Salut x,
Ingrid

dottie angel said...

oh my dearest clog loving readers, are you not just the bestest of the best. i have admin duties to preform this morning and i am doing them with my admin hat two sizes too small upon my head... but does that matter? no it does not, for what is on my feet! ah ha! yes indeedy, my perfectly peachy red clogs, thus making the admin duties so much sweeter to bear :)
plus if they are on my feet, it means they are safe from little olive...

i will be back a little later, till then, adieu!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I enjoyed your story about the patchwork clogs so much. I once transferred schools and had a very similar experience with a hand-me-down patchwork blouse...

Jenny said...

Your clogs are just lovely and they look smashing with that wonderful and quite creative outfit you have on. Love it!

Unknown said...

I love your red clogs soooooo much. Red shoes, YES!

Christina said...

What a great story -- I laughed, I cried (kids can be so mean), I imagined putting my eyebrows down and saying "Olive, NO!" in my deepest, mean-mommy voice (my kids AND my dog know that one).

And then I went to Etsy and found my own vintage red clogs.

soisses-dasleben said...

love that clogs!!! and i really like your pics. your style is fantastic...

Ben Hughes Art said...

Clogs?! I don't remember clogs. Were we on the same trip? Flip flops, now flip flops I remember. Rubber and plastic that rubbed your big toe raw. Fisherman smocks - yes of course. Sunburn - wasn't a holiday without it. Ah, happy days!

dottie angel said...

oh Ben, silly! you didn't go around clippity clopping, just me and mum. you may have had to wear bright mustard flared trousers and grolly green ones as well, but even the folks wouldn't have put you in clogs... although i am quite sure as a eclectic, slighty rugged around the edges, artist of a certain age you could sport a pair now :)

Anonymous said...

The clogs look great, especially with the leggings and the little lacy ties - great style. My mini sausage dog is a shoe chewer too, (actually he chews EVERYTHING)I must try the hot dog factory threat too...Penny x (Planet Penny)

Belinda said...

i looooooove your clogs! maybe, just maybe there's a pair for me waiting too.... somewhere.....

greetz from holland

Greedy Nan said...

Oh dear - greatest envy is here and living in my heart - clogs, leggings and that darling bag - dear oh dear oh dear. And I was also the laughed at kid but due to impecuniousness, would have HAD to continue to wear them - in the end the last laugh will be on the laughees!

freefalling said...

Is this anything like your red and blue smock top?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26217912@N06/2769363548/in/set-72157606767548788/

Leanda said...

You are officially the most stylish lady on the planet!

Unknown said...

Hi, tell me, did you make those leggings? Love them.

Soft Atmosphere said...

i love the bag !!!!

Eve said...

I waited and waited for Swedish RED CLOGS to come to me too! They finally did. Ebay, one pair my size $10. Happy Day.

Sangerka said...

I am aware of my comment to be more than one year late but let me say: these clogs are perfection!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Please visit my link! I am so excited to show you, that I, too, have this same exact wonderfully red pair of clogs!

http://purpleamethyst76.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=purpleamethyst76&nextdate=11%2f3%2f2011+23%3a59%3a59.999

~a blogland friend, Shanda

Mimsey said...

Little Olive, like all dogs, is surely most forgiving. She just loved your red clogs, too. The wound adds character. Wounds are often redemptive, too. :o)