Monday, February 1

the missing groove...

i've lost my groove,
i'm trying to remember the last time i had it, i'm thinking perhaps it was on friday...
i recall returning from the thrift store, quite late with several pillowcases, a lovely little quilt and a couple of stick back chairs.
i was rather elated by my finds.
a few hours later, i discovered i'd mislaid my groove...

i'm assuming i must have left it at the thrift store.
i will have to go back, just in case it lurks amongst the shelves waiting patiently for me to retrieve it.
i'm now picturing 'my groove' feeling lonely and frightened,
having been left behind by me, of course not intentionally,
but my 'little groove' does not know that does it?
no, my 'little groove' has been all alone for three nights, enough time to dwell on being left.
at first i'm sure my 'little groove' would have had reasonable thoughts
"oh that's okay, Tif will be back in a minute for me, she's a little forgetful these days" turning to a discarded forsaken soul for reassurance
but after a while that forsaken soul will not have any reassurance to give, it will start to mutter things like
"don't bet on it deary, that's what we all thought, but time goes on and you wake up one day having lost count of the hours it's been. that's the day it dawns on you, they ain't coming back, mark my words"

oh my poor 'little groove'!
thinking i have no use for it, when i do.
for without my groove i am nothing.
i can't get a thing done, my procrastinating reaches an all time low and i wander through my days lost, bewildered and without direction...

i blame 'clogs' for my lost groove.


if i hadn't been so busy trying to 'visualize' wooden clogs at the thrift store then i wouldn't have absentmindedly put my groove down.
for i have become a 'visualizer' when thrifting, this in turn i blame on my best pal Debbie.
she informed me when staying last Fall, that if you visualize a parking space in a 'full to the brim' parking lot, quite often one appears out of nowhere...
since 'imparting knowledge' of such wisdom to moi, i spend most of my thrifting moments visualizing.
and especially when it comes to 'clogs'.

lovely little dutch wooden clogs for the walls of mossy shed
since discovering these beauties i have got 'clog' fever, and i've got it bad.
last week i found a little pair that made my heart skip a beat.
on returning to the shed, i promptly painted the sweeties 'coral'.
i like 'coral' it is indeed the color of a grandma's lipstick and it makes me feel warm and comforted.
i now appear to be a collector of clogs, i didn't know it until i added my coral lovelies to my wall and my wall stared back at me, begging for more where 'coral' came from...


and it would appear, dutch wooden clogs are not my only obsession, for i am now obsessing about a swedish pair of clogs for my feet this summer.
i am foreseeing spring and summer being most worrisome when it comes to the challenge.
for there is something about spring and the need to buy a nice new pretty pair of attire for one's feet.
i'm thinking colorful clogs would be so very appealing.
i'm thinking colorful clogs with painted flowers would make even the most mundane of domestic chores be so much more exotic.
i'm thinking this thinking of clogs maybe the undoing of me...

she is off to visualize her 'groove' amongst the shelves of despair, hopefully next to a pair of swedish clogs with her name on ~ Tif

31 comments:

PixieBelle said...

Oh dear, I hope your litte groove finds it's way home safely! I know I'm lost without mine.
Clogs are fabulous. I had a wonderful air that I wore for years that finally gave up the go recently and I've not found another pair I love as much. But one day, one day I'll find another pair which fill that empty space.

Still Lily said...

Oh i too share this clog obsession tif, being married to a dutchman has brought out over the years the true clog gal who has always dwelled inside...i collect in the home and happily wear in the world...what a lovely obsession to have! i must try the visualization on my next thrifting trip. now go back and scoop up that groove and bring it home safe.

Lola Nova said...

Oh dear, I think there might be more to this than you might suspect. There appears to be a rash of missing grooves. Mine went disappearing just the other day and upon mentioning it to a friend, she said that she too had mislaid her own. Could there be a serial groove napper on the loose? Good heavens!

As to Swedish clogs, can I tell you that I found the most awesome pair on a thrift last week. Oh they were painted to perfection and hardly a scuff! Alas, though one was only one size to big, the other was 3 sizes too big and I knew it would never work. It was quite a let down. I shall try that visualization trick, and hope for clogs for you!

Anonymous said...

it is just so NOT a groovey thing to lose your groove girl!

here's hoping you find it again.
ciao...

melissadc76 said...

I hope you find your groove soon. I know how you feel, mine gets lost often, but today, it is on!

Char said...

love the clog color

i'm clogged too -not with clogs on my feet but clogged in writing. maybe i need to paint them coral do so they will come out to play.

andrea said...

Oh- I hope you find your groove soon ;)
I have lost mine several times lately :)

s a n s k u :) said...

i found you via flickr. love your home and all your beautiful creations. you've inspired me this week.

i hope it's ok i advertised your blog on my blog. :)

Unknown said...

I have plain wooden clogs you could paint, I rescued them! Would you like to do some sort of trade? They even have the name of the person who made them penciled on the bottom.
sallyreames@gmail.com

considerthelillies said...

last summer I became obsessed with wooden clogs also and snatched some at thrift stores and yard sales! After seeing one of your photos of them hung on the wall with knitting needles, I immediately hammered one on my kitchen wall which has nothing to do with knitting but it is near my craft room where my beloved stash of yarn is piled helter skelter instead of beautifully displayed as yours!

mary jane said...

lost indeed...i think that little groove is playing fun with you, just behind you pretending to be lost and having a grand old time of it...

collectingfeathers said...

After years of having lost my groove, it is inching back into my life with inspiration from blogs like yours. Does your challenge inclued undies and bras?
Love your style. Nick from exotic Oz.

Jennifer said...

I started following your blog about 2 months ago and I must say, that groove is a very important thing. I lost mine some years ago and have been searching for it high and low for at least the last 5 years. A box of gifted vintage ties seems to be the closest I've come to finding it. With out it, one can surely lose their way, become cranky and burdened with mundane things.

I do hope you find your groove soon; and maybe some fabulous finds will be sitting on the shelf next to it.

Emerson Bindery said...

I know how you feel, Tif! It seems I'm forever misplacing my groove! I spend countless hours retracing my steps trying to find it again.

Tara said...

best getting your groove back - the winter always does it to me, too!

i just started to get some of my groove back tonight - by painting. i almost never paint, and switching away from fabric and needlepoint crafts was so freeing.

best,
tara
http://elanvitalanthology.blogspot.com

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

My groove has been lost amongst the disorganization of my crafty stuff. I am befuddled and my brain is muddled and there are days I wonder if it will ever return. I am sure you will find your groove right around the corner waiting for you. I have one lonely little wooden clog from Holland, somewhere, tucked away on a shelf. I hope some lovely clogs find their way to you. Blessings, Tammy

Ticking stripes said...

Tif, come and get me. Miss you so bad. Somebody tried to pick me up yesterday but I got away . So dejected. Please get right back to the thrift store and pick me up. I need your nurturing. I may not withstand another attempt to pick me up.
Your very own groove - you know you need me like I need you.

Atelier Pompadour said...

hi dear!LOVE YOUR BLOG SHOP WEBSITE!! so... I blogged about you!!
http://creativititychannel.blogspot.com/
you are sooo inspiring!!
hugs Paola

Hausfrau said...

Good luck locating your groove--I imagine you'll happen upon it soon! I love clogs of all kinds, too. I think it's great that they never go out of style. I have a red painted pair I've been wearing off and on for years!

Julia said...

Oh my goodness, a lost groove...the thing is, I seem to have mislaid mine too and have been hunting high and low for it over the last couple of days. I have a feeling it might have got in the car when my other half left to go to Wales, so Im kind of hoping he brings it back with him today! :)

The clogs are smashing though, I love your colour choice - and as for the visualisation, it works every time (so speaks a fellow believer)!

Much love
Julia x x x

Marybeth said...

The clogs are cute! & hey, Stella got her groove back, I am sure you can, too! :)Marybeth

http://suiteheart.blogspot.com/

Caterina Giglio said...

visualizing works for me! and if I can get someone else to do it too, I usually find it at the first store!!! loves it!

Belinda said...

hi there,
coming from holland, i owned wooden clogs all my life. And when i was a kid, i already painted them myself. I'm 38 now, my clogs are now pink with purple 'flowers', as you see in india.
I really love my clogs!

theroofcat said...

I like your ideas! The clogs are cute!

louweezwee said...

I love how you paint everything you find in gorgeous bright colours! I wish I was as brave as you :)

Elissa said...

ah. so that is my problem. i've just left my groove at the thrift store. thank you. i did need a good excuse for all my procrastination and wandering about aimlessly, unable to prioritize or make decisions. a lost groove certainly would do that. i'm just wondering if i lost it in 1997....

said...

Love them, Tif. PS: They are called klompen. I had a pair when I was little, as I was born there! Now I have several pairs around the house and can't wait to get some up on the walls.

Sherri B. said...

Dearest Tif, I am wondering if your groove is missing your Mum. Perhaps they had such a good visit when she came that the groove didn't quite know what to do after she left. Is it possible that your groove is just hiding for a bit until it can deal with her departure? Just a thought. Have a great day.

Unbuttoned said...

Hmm seeing as I am stuck erhm living in sweden perhaps i should keep an eye out for you? :)

Melynda said...

Ahh...Tif you just crack me up. I love your style, probably because I'm a doily lovin' gal myself.
I thought of you today when I was at my local thrift store. There was the cutest little pair of wooden clogs that need a little tender loving care.
I can't count the times that your blog has brought a smile to my face (I've even laughed out loud, startling the youngest of my children)
Would love to put a smile on yours.
Just let me know where you would like them mailed.
mkcarver@q.com
http://countrygirlcouture.blogspot.com/

dottie angel said...

it would appear that i am not the only 'clog lusting' lassy around... you never fail to make me smile :)