Thursday, September 10

thrifty thursdays with spongebob...

never did i think one little blankie could warrant such kindness but once again you bestow your loveliness upon me and my creations. allowing me to carry on 'hooking' with pride knowing that what comes out of it is 'worthy' and 'special'....
and so we must continue with today's hot topic... ah yes, it's our favorite day of the week, thrifty thursdays.

all around the globe people are going "not now", "in a minute" or "i'm busy" as they pull down their 'bank clerk' blind at the window, put out the closed sign on the cashier's till or lock the door and place a 'back in five minutes' note on the glass.
for today is the day all must rush to their computers to find out what latest and greatest (that of course is debatable) 'find' Tif has procured at the thrift store.


i hope my dearest readers and any bank clerks that happen to have pulled their blinds, that i do not disappoint today. so if you are sitting comfortably behind your 'do not disturb' signs, with tipple in hand (please read that last bit most carefully as not to have any embarrassing moments if someone looks over your 'sign')... let us begin.

last friday i mentioned i was off thrifting, and so i did, but not until the evening by which time i had experienced a crafting 'epiphany'..... (i have paused here for you to take a sharp intake of breath and when exhaling gasp "oh my Tif, that is tres exciting to say the least".... to which i say "i know!!!)
but more on my 'epiphany' moment tomorrow (ah ha, a cliff hanger if ever i typed one).

and so it came to be that i phoned my man at work, suggested that we met half way from his work and mossy shed, to digest some chinese food and then i could sneakily drop in convo, how lovely it would be if he bought the kids home whilst i did a spot of shopping.
of course he did not fall for this without some questioning to the type of shopping i needed to do. i caved in and mumbled 'thrift shopping', picked up my bag, smiled everso sweetly, leaving him with the bill and the kids,whilst i went upon my thrifting ways... (oh how tough a woman can be when she has thrifting on her mind).
upon entering the store i knew it was going to be a good day, but did i know it was going to be a 'sponge bob' kind of 'best day ever' thrifting day, no i did not... having had one such day not too long ago i did not feel i was in the market for another so soon, but how wrong i was...

the moment it hit me as a 'sponge bob' thrifting day was the moment i rounded the aisle and came face to face with 'bark cloth curtains'.
i stopped in my tracks...
"can this be" i exclaimed to myself, half scared i was going to wake up at any minute
never in all my born days of frequenting this particular thrift store have i ever, ever, ever, come across such an item,
i reached forward to touch them, almost daring them to vanish in a puff of smoke, it all seemed so unreal.
but no, they were real and better still there were three of them, the most amazing pattern, fabulous colors, in peachy perfect condition and if it could get any better than that... they were MINE!!!!


for no other shopper had spied this diamond hidden amongst the rough.
i gathered all three of them up and held them close, i looked around wishing to share my moment of 'priceless' discovery but alas no one was near... nor i fear, would they have cared about the deranged woman with unwashed hair, hugging granny curtains and weeping with joy. (or allergies... one's never quite sure)

i placed them gently into my cart and promised them a 'new life' of untold joy living with me.
i glanced up, now becoming a 'protective' mother... making sure no one spied my 'spoils' and try to take them from me. i moved forward, less then five feet away, another 'gasp' of "can it truly be" filled the air...
it could only be the towels that must have belonged to the 'curtain' owner, right before me...


i snatched them up, bundled them into my cart, realizing that time was of the essence, other treasures belonging to this wonderful 'granny chic' loving person who cared so well for her belongings were lurking amongst the aisles...
next came a fabulous lace tablecloth... oh so perfectly intact with no rips or stains to speak of,
and finally a little pretty jug, in my favorite china color... yellow


by this time i was exhausted with the 'hunt', it was nearly 9pm and i needed to take my haul home where i could lay it all out and marvel at it's full glory without the worry of 'hyenas'...

on returning to the shed i found our #3 on my computer, a perfect victim to 'oooh and ahhh' at my finds.
i began to take out my towels, then my tablecloth, next the jug and finally the glorious barkcoth curtains, fully lined in 'tip top' vintage condition.... (did i mention that before, just thought i'd mention it again... just in case i hadn't quite got across just how flipping fab they are!!)...

and so our #3 kindly made all the right "ooohs and ahhhs" in all the right places, glancing occasionally in my direction.
finally his gaze broke from the computer screen and he swivelled around to face me.
"are you telling me all those items were there tonight?"
"yes!!" i replied quite breathlessly
"all those things that look just like the things you like to buy from the thrift store, where all from one trip?"
"yes, i know!!!" getting a little 'shrilly' with my voice
"how much did it all cost?" he inquired (ummm, doesn't miss a trick)
"forty one dollars including tax" i answered, waiting for the response and holding my receipt for proof in my sweaty little palm, should i need it.
"forty one dollars for three barkcloth curtains, one large tablecloth, one jug and five towels?"
"yes that is correct" wondering and 'a waiting' the response...
"well, that was money well spent" and without further a glance he reconnected with his cyber world leaving his mother to sit in the corner, piled high with thrifty finds... by her side, Miss Ethel resting from her earlier sweating, due to a crafting 'epiphany' and thinking all was so very well in her world.

she will return with her 'epiphany' tomorrow ~ Tif

15 comments:

Lola Nova said...

Yes, yes, on the edge of my seat...not really holding my breath 'cause that would be dangerous.
As to your finds - I am both happy for and jealous of. Green with envy (if I were holding my breath, then I would be blue with envy, but I'm not - remember).
I had a glorious opportunity to take time yesterday for thrifting. Alas, never have the pickings been so slim. I walked away with only a .99 cent bag of clothes line pegs and a smallish granny blanket that once home, left the dwellers of the cottage shaking their heads in a 'are you kidding?' kind of way.

Ah well, I really am quite happy for you and your lovely loot. Can't wait to hear what has been percolating.

dijahenry said...

I have to say first that this was extremely well written as it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Which rarely a blog does for me. I am so delightfully happy at your finds and even more so that your #3 agreed that your money was well spent! I look forward to finding out the end of the "cliff hanger"! Thanks for sharing your love of everything granny chic!

Karin said...

Dear Tif!
What a talented writer you are! You really should write a book about all your adventures. I can almost see it, lying on a nice little table, on a crocheted tablecloth, beside a lovely little vase with some garden flowers. :-)

Mise said...

I think the thing is that you photograph things beautifully. You could probably pick up a random thrift item and make it look desirable.

Kristy said...

I am most impressed that you can still thrift at 9pm State side! I think I would be sneaking out every night when the girls are in bed!

The Naturalist's Daughter said...

What a great score, those curtains are fantastic! Finding wonderful things in the thrift shop is always a great feeling, but you have topped the lot. I love the towels too. Great post !

mamas collection said...

I Know EXACTLY how you feel!! You must read my blog about my barkcloth curtain score that I made over 10 years ago! But I still feel that rush everytime I look at them! Is that strange? Should I be checked out by a professional?
sonowiknow.blogspot.com

mamas collection said...

....and don't you love it when our progeny get it as well....!!!

Elicia said...

mmmm. :)

Kylie said...

Firstly, can I say what a lovely child your #3 is? He is a love :) Secondly, love your finds :) K

Unknown said...

oh miss Tif, a thrifty thursday of the 'utmost' kind!
and you have trained your #3 perfectly in the ways of thrifty-ness ~ not like my man who started yawning the second i stepped in to our local hospice shop... i know, i know i should never have even considered going in with him!

Michelle said...

BARKCLOTH!!!
how lucky tif...
love the thrifty finds...
what a score...
Impressive, I love thrifting days like that...well done...

alexkeller said...

wonderful! i often protect my cart at the thrift - i enjoyed reading about your trip!

Cary said...

i love all your posts! i'm so glad to have found someone who gets as excited as i do about these things. i am also pleased to look into the future to see my children (who i am conditioning now) truly understanding and appreciating these moments too:)

polly said...

I award this my floral favourites round up award as the besest daisy featuring fabric EVER. blogged today.