Friday, September 11

a crafting epiphany...

and so it came to pass last friday at 4pm, i could be found in my 'mastermind' chair...
i would like to say i was fabulously dressed, hair done just so and looking the picture of 'craftiness' but i most report the truth.
i was not dressed attractively, nor was my hair done just so and i looked anything but the picture of craftiness. but there i sat and there i pondered...

for it was coming to my attention by the little voice inside of my head that now the kids were back in school i needed to get my crafty arse into gear...
i had set myself a fine date of sept 8th to rendezvous with the 'always well dressed', 'threads done just so' and 'ever the picture of craftiness' Miss Ethel. but my little crafty cogs were not really turning as well as i had hoped...
and that is when it happened dearest readers,
my crafting epiphany happening...


i know this to be true as i asked my man the following morning to explain the meaning of the word epiphany, he gave me a most detailed answer and then it dawned on me, all my life i have been having crafting epiphanies and never known it, until this fateful day, last friday.
so please allow me to enlighten you upon my epiphany...

a few years back i made some bunting, quite traditional in shape, from vintage linens and crochet. you have seen it many times on my little blog before, lurking in the background of pictures.
i knew i wished to resurrect my bunting from long ago but with a fresh look. i have been pondering this idea for a while now, but then i squirreled it away in my little brain to retrieve at a convenient point (if i ever found it again, of course)...


and so my epiphany came to me in the way of bunting, which in my head became garlands, which in turn became a combination of recycled found materials, scraps, doilies, lace, embroidery etc.
("nothing new there then Tif" i hear you exclaim)
and quite right you are, the usual combination of 'what not' that seems to appear upon my wares.



and so over the past few days Miss Ethel and i have spent many a pleasurable moment bringing to fruition my 'epiphany' and creating
my new dottie angel "don't ever leave me" garlands,


which (with luck on my side) will appear in my little store's update next week along with a few other goodies...
also next week i have news of the 'challenge' i have set myself, and if you are thinking along the lines of a marathon run in a crocheted bikini, then think again my friends. it will be the biggest challenge i have ever set myself and i am hoping to see it through to the end... even if it breaks me

until then, she bids you 'adieu' and a happy weekend ~ Tif

22 comments:

Unknown said...

utterly beautiful miss Tif, it looks like you and miss Ethel have had a wonderful few days together... :)

crafting epiphanies are fab aren't they!? you just sit for a while pondering a few possibilities, then out of nowhere a bolt of lightning hits the old noggin and the cogs start whirring!

i'm quite intrigued and slightly apprehensive about your 'challenge'... i really hope you don't get broken!

have a fabby weekend my dear... :)
emma
x

GloamingDesigns said...

oh how beautiful! it's so hard when those 'wheels' aren't turning because there's no making them go - it's whenever they want. oh i know that feeling too well. but the soaring heights of, as you rightly call it, a crafing epiphany!!

Pomona said...

Lovely, lovely bunting - and I do envy you your epiphanic moments. I only encounter them in novels - but I am eagerly waiting for my very own one - I could do with it at the moment!

Pomona x

A Beautiful Party said...

very very beautiful pictures and crafts!

Lola Nova said...

It is an epiphany of the utmost kind.
It's nearly brought me to tears and on my knees with a hallelujah! Well done and well hung.

Oh and, you might want to look at my lacy bits over here =

http://lolanovablog.blogspot.com/2009/09/making-history.html

dottie angel said...

oh what a fabulous post, lola nova...
i encourage you all to drop over and visit, it will warm you heart and move your soul :)

Mise said...

well, i love your fireplace. more home photos?

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

What an epiphany! The buntings are gorgeous. As soon as I saw them, I breathed out loud, "she is so amazing." You have such a way of putting things together!

~ Jennifer

Unknown said...

I love it ! So beautiful , thanks for showing it .

mrs boo radley said...

love Love LOVE!

Margith said...

Beutyful colours and pictures. I love it.

Kristy said...

They look lovely.They remind me a bit of Lobster and Swan's paper garlands http://www.flickr.com/photos/lobsterandswan/sets/72157616589329437/
which I love too!

Francesca said...

so perfect tif. lovely for people to have a bit of dottie hanging around their home. x

alexkeller said...

quite lovely! i've been wanting to put one together for my son's next birthday. not until may, so i have plenty of time! and if i procrastinate, then i'll visit your shop - which i'll probably do anyway....xoxo

jennywren1990 said...

Your bunting is lovely darling and you have me thoroughly inspired. As of this very moment I have a bag of over 100 fabric squares I got when I was out a-thrifting one day that were meant for a quilt. I am now determined to use some of the prettier ones to make my very own bunting to string out. Even though my favorite man will surely "hrmm" at me when he sees them I know they will be gorgeous. Thank you for the inspiration!

surfy birdy said...

your banner looks marvelous!!

Katherine said...

oooooh, i am so in love with your bunting! i might just have to forget scrubbing the floors today and make some of those for our living room!

Debra said...

OW!!can i come on the next epiphany with you. Then perhaps sit sipping something warm (hot toddies no doubt) in front of that 'to die for' fire place...wrapped in some of those gorgy cloth...dream on...:)

Unknown said...

Happily(sadly?) I so get it...the epiphany, the thrifting,
the euphoria of "the find", the wanting everyone to know and appreciate your extraordinary luck. I bet you are excited just driving there, "can't wait" anticipation of what you might find...then the "epiphany" of what to do with it all...I almost can't breathe!

Poppy Q said...

Ohhhh Miss tif, they are just sweet. I might have to save up to get me one.

Still loving the placemats here in NZ. They are on high rotation on my bedside table.

I would love to see some more, if you ever had the time.

gayle said...

I'm trying to catch up with all your posts after being away all summer. I am chuckling away at them all. I'm currently working out my decor for our new house and curtain panels like yours have got to fit into this somehow. Now just to figure out how to make them. I have a few retro tablecloths waiting for a new job. too small for tables most of them.
www.retrorose.typepad.com

RedorGrayArt said...

what is it about garlands...i smile as i make them...smile as i hang them...yours are so lovely~elk