Wednesday, October 10

things that make me smile ~ part two...

i found my new friend in the bric-a-brac aisle at our local thrift store...i haven't been for so long that the place has had a 'make-over'. i can't find anything and it takes me twice as long. so there was my little friend with his twin just waiting to find a new home...i can not believe he hadn't been snapped up before me, what with his lovely bluey/green coloring and plastic teddy bear eyes and more to the point his fabulous price tag, $2.95, what a steal...


i popped him in my cart along with his brother and bought him home. i quickly wrapped up his brother and promptly sent him on his way to my friend Beth's house so he could live a happy life...and my little friend was given the name of 'Mr Erol' (don't ask me why) and put in 'kathleen's cupboard' with his new family, 'Mr Flynn' and 'little one'. (i do have guilt about separating him from his twin, but i knew he would have friends in 'kathleen's cupboard)...i am quite sure that one day my little owl collection with the plastic eyes will pay for someone's college tutition, it is just a matter of time...


he has been a good friend to me in the few days i have known him...as i was having a very low moment staring blankly at my fabric stash, he helped me get inspired...and now my little cogs are turning and my fingers are doing what they do best. i am liking the results...


she's slowly going banana's waiting for a buyer ~ Tif

10 comments:

Gigibird said...

Recently I have become attracted to owls.....I think I may have to steal your collection!

Wren said...

hey dottie,

i was just browsing in the vintage section on etsy, after reading your post, and found a cute owl you should check out!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7397868

wren :)

Anonymous said...

I always assumed owls were called 'Norman' because of all their innate Wisdom- but it appears I have been sorely mistaken...

Lucykate Crafts... said...

he's so sweet, i collect owls too, started off with 2 ornaments passed down to my from my grandma and other half's grandma.

would love to see the owl embroidery when its finished.

ps, hope you don't mind but i mentioned you on my blog. crafting is slow and i cheated and talked about favourite blogs to visit!.

Casey Maura said...

What a great find! I have yet to see an owl in any of the thrift stores around here... ;) lol.

I like the way the inspiration struck--can't wait to see the finished project!

Have a lovely day! :)

Hear Me Roar! said...

I can't say I've ever really thought about a "ceramic owl with plastic eyes" collection, but once you see them it makes PERFECT SENSE... Now I'm looking at my little owl on my desk at work thinking how said it is that he is neither ceramic or possessing plastic eyes. DARN HIM!

Genuine Lustre said...

LOL! It's really true. One man's trash is another man's treasure!
Dottie - I'm a couple years older than you, and in the 70s when I was making candles, I had a mold just like this.

But you say he inspires you -- so more power to you! Inspiration can't be scoffed at.

p.s. - if you want more owls, please visit my mother-in-law. She has every piece of 70s and 80s merchandise featuring owls ever made. I will probably inheirit it someday and will ship it directly to you.

devinemom said...

this post makes me so happy. i just love the owls they have so much character.

Heleen said...

The owls are yust lovely.
realy Like your blog.

Heleen said...

Just love these owls. also love your blog.