Friday, October 19

batten down the hatches...

there was a storm warning yesterday, normally i don't take a lot of notice of these things...but after the last one that left us with out power for days i try to be a little bit more organized.
of course along with the loss of power (or in another case last winter, a huge snowstorm) comes the realization that school is cancelled...my preparation goes along the lines of checking that we have some canned food in the larder, unearthing our hot water bottles from the closet, logs for the fire and then most importantly, i check my yarn stash. if i am going to be holed up for days together with my nearest and dearest then i must have a 'yarn' project to keep me 'nice and pleasant'...

so as the winds started to pick up i headed out to the yarn store...i have been greatly motivated by my growing crocheted blanket. having knitted blankets in the past i know what a length of time it can take, not to mention the weight on your needles and also the fact you definitely have a front and a back to the finished article.
not so with my crocheted, striped blanket...the only difference to the front is it has doilies stitched on, otherwise it is completely reversible. plus just doing a double crochet stitch is very straight forward so i am able to concentrate on 'little house on the prairie' and even when i get a little blurry eyed in the sad bits i can still see the stitches because i am using 'chunky' wool...you can't ask for more than that from your 'yarn' project



anyhow, i found a lovely organic cotton yarn (very soft to the touch) and in a beautiful brown with a hint of mauve (not gray as my photo would suggest)...i am thinking it will crochet up a treat as a scarf and also a knitted tea cosy...


next i came across a wool yarn that has different shades of pinky/mauvey/browns in it...once again i see it as a scarf or wrap and my plan it to crochet it length ways...i shall let you know how it goes. but first i must finish my blanket which is three quarters of the way done. i know if i start the scarves, the blanket will end up a U.F.O, which i have a feeling my cushion cover is fast becoming...

she's wishing you a blustery free weekend where ever you are ~ Tif

footnote: to the reader that left me an anonymous comment, my apologises to you...my postings on my blog reflect just a small window of my life...i can only say "sorry". i am totally aware that there is a huge amount of suffering and heartache that is going on in the world that far out weighs 'trying to move house'...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi again Tif, you didn't need to apologise, although that resembles that you are a great great person, a great person who writes a great blog that I'll keep on reading, I just wanted to let you know that you don't need to worry about those "little" things, I do it too, but living and enjoying your life should be first. Thanks anyway, you made me smile and feel good (for the first time today) with you comment. Thanks from my heart, and sorry if I made you feel bad with my comment, it was not my aim, my aim was just to tell you: "enjoy, your fantastic gray house will come alone, I'm sure ..."

dottie angel said...

thank you "annoymous"...your comment means a lot to me:)

Clang Clang said...

Oooh, those yarns look lovely. Today's projects with a house of children have sadly seen me slip quickly through 'pleasant', to 'unpleasant' to 'really quite grumpy'. And it ain't even raining. Loving your blog (and your dog!)

Rowan x

Kate said...

Those yarns look really lovely - I want to reach out and touch that cotton it looks so soft! I hope the wind goes away fast.

Anonymous said...

lovely projects as usual! chins up, you're doing a great job! hope your knitting keeps your hands and heart warm this weekend!

lily

Violette Crumble said...

Lovely yarn!

Someone will surely buy your house, hang in there. That said, check out wallpaper here: http://www.secondhandrose.com/
I have bought some there before when I lived in NY and their selection is amazing.
Also, please let me know if you got those brown maryjanes in the U.S. someplace I can buy them. I've been looking for a pair just like that forever :)

dottie angel said...

violette i got the mary janes in the UK :(

i bought them from Clarks...you can get Clarks in the US so try tracking them down..i liked them because they had a heel that i could walk in (i.e. low)and best of all the sole is rubbery so you can't slip over!! and the color is a lovely rich chestnuty brown...good luck in tracking them down...

dottie angel said...

ooh and thanks for the wallpaper tip :)

Francesca said...

surely the best thing about knitting a heavy blanket in a storm is that you can have it over your knees while you're knitting it and keep cosy, non?

gorgeous yarn.
x
ps nice word verification today: seesozp!

Anonymous said...

What lovely yarn!! I recently finished knitting something, so I'm in the mood to make something else. Need to go to the yarn store though!

Hear Me Roar! said...

I see that you have plenty of yarn already, but PLEASE OH PLEASE let's take a little trip to Hilltop in Bellevue. No one else will appreciate yarn shopping with me as much as you, and I miss you so! LOL A girls day out is defnitely in the cards for us, as you need some cheering.

Tracy x said...

dear used dog
you are a thing of beauty with the mose beautiful doggy feet - myself and the whippet girls have been admiring them this very morning.
however we all agree (bean is nodding) that you really should get up and plod on over to your mom, and give her a gentle nudge with your beautiful used head x
please tell her whilst gently nudging, that we are all sending positive house moving thoughts and we are very fond of her x
tracy, talulla and bean x

Little ol' Me said...

Hello...

I'm also a "Tif", only mine has two little f's in it!

Your sweet blog is a pleasure to read and I will surely be back. Some day when I'm all grown up and my four girls are not hanging on my leg I would love to learn to knit or crochet.

As it is my hands are full of diapers and when I get the chance to play it's usually with paper, glitter, and glue!

Sincerely,
Tiff
ScrapsaDaisy's Autumn Cottage

dottie angel said...

welcome to my blog Tiff with the four girls and two f's...from Tif with the two girls and two boys and f :)

tracy, tululla and bean, our used dog thanks you kindly for admiring her paws...she wants you to know that where ever Tif knits or crochets she is never far away...and quite often gets up for an ear tickle and then has to rest again, ahh the life of a dog...