Tuesday, October 30

the one where Tif learns to quilt (well, a little bit)...

i have discovered that owning a bedspread adds on fifteen minutes to my morning routine...i think part of this is to do with the fact that our bed is a king size platform number from good old Ikea. it seemed such a fabulous idea three years ago but now i own a bedspread i am not quite so sure. i make one side look just perfect and then i march over to the other side being very careful not to break my shin bone on the corner...give a little tug and voila, the perfect side shifts and it all goes horribly wrong.
after struggling with my bed making yesterday i decided that i needed some crafting therapy. i have made two dishcloths to date and am now ready to do something else...am i the only one that finds it hard to make the same thing over and over...

i took out Miss Margery and dusted her off, put in some thread and looked around my space. now for a few of you who may be wondering why i am not doing my usual thing with the slips etc even though i have time on my hands, well i have discovered that ladies underpinnings hanging in your studio, on your landing, in the utility room and in the bedroom from every possible 'hanging space' does not encourage people to view your home. so hence they were packed away long long ago...


so Miss Margery tried to cooperate, but quite frankly (and i say this in whispered tones) she is rather sick...i fear she is heading the way of Miss S. Machine, it is only a matter of time.

my eyes lit upon my little white Eames rocking chair, then i unearthed one of my favorite books and before i knew it my little brain was hatching a plan...somewhere in the depth of the closet was a small piece of wadding or is it batting, who knows and who really cares...my lovely friend Tasha had given me a while ago. and so dear readers i attempted my first piece of quilting in the shape of a cushion...not sure i am quite up to par with the professional quilters amongst us but i was excited that it actually worked and more to the point Miss Margery didn't just chew it up and spit it out...


i added one doily, two patches and some little labels made from scraps and hey presto, my rocking chair wouldn't look out of place in a japanese craft book...and just so you know, this is where i sit with a cup of tea in the afternoon, breathing in deeply, surrounded by just a 'little bit of dottie' and it's keeping me sane...

she had a helping hand with the crafting ~ Tif

13 comments:

roseroomnz.com said...

Gorgeous cushion, your house is so immaculate looking, do you still live their? Love the helping hand!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so inspiring with the beautiful things you make. The cushion is gorgeous!

dottie angel said...

YES!!!! and it is doing our heads in ;) trying to live like we don't live in our house...pure madness!

Francesca said...

luckily, we like a bit of character over here (up to a point!) otherwise we wouldn't sell our flat in a month of sundays. we have 'piles' too but they are piles of ben's newspapers. a pile by the bed for reading, a pile of important articles to keep in a basket in the sitting room (arsenal winning the league, stuff like that) and a pile under the bedside table for recycling.

anyhoo, i think your cushions are really lovely.
x
ps i think it's just domino online mag not the real thing :)

Anonymous said...

Great cushion, much better than my first attempt!
I can't make things over and over, it defeats the whole point of craft for me- which is to enjoy myself and feel inspired!

tess said...

that cushion is gorgeous.
trying to get a balance between keeping the house perfect for viewings and it still being your house must be so hard, you are amzing.

Stephne said...

LOVELY S X

Anonymous said...

everything you make is so lovey! and you make it seem effortless like sitting down with a cup of tea. i wish i had your brain.
happy halloween!

lily

Gigibird said...

I should be making cushions.....yours are lovely.....do you add a zip?

Violette Crumble said...

Loooove them.

I better get out there and start accumulating some vintage printed sheets if I ever want such a quilt.

When will your shop be back open?

Lucykate Crafts... said...

love that cushion, i sympathise over the everything being packed up, when we were moving my work things were the first to be packed and stored in the loft. it was nearly a year and a half before they were unpacked again. best bit is that by this time, i actually had my own little room to put them in!

Monica said...

Love that pillow!!

Diane said...

Glad you weren't tempted to make a king size bed quilt. Your cushion is charming.