i had a moment of crafting madness yesterday...it all came about when i realized my walls lack any family photos. i seem to almost have an aversion to displaying the residents of our shed and i do not know why... perhaps it is my fear of the 'school photo' look, that has kept me from doing so.
in our last house i had a nice collection going up the staircase, featuring black and white shots taken on a trip to San Diego when the kids were little...we travelled along the coastal highway up to San Francisco, for two weeks we lived like gypsies and it felt so good.
every time i see these photos they conjure up a time for me that tugs at my heart strings, where does the time go and where have these babies gone. they stand before me now, on the verge of spreading their wings and it makes my little heart ache to know my nest will change over the next few years...
so armed with the photos, a thrift store bed sheet, a few scraps of lace, a cup of tea and Miss Ethel, i set to work with making a 'family banner'...
very simple really,
1. take some photos.
2. cut fabric large enough to leave a border around the photos.
3. wash and dry fabric pieces so you get a nice frayed edge.
4. place photo on fabric and stitch around edge with sewing machine, leaving threads for a 'crafty look'.
5. after sewing all the photos down, add some lace and doily bits for added detail.
6. lay your photos on the floor, rearranging until you get a pleasing display.
7. one by one attach to a long length of lace or ribbon with the sewing machine.
8. hang on a wall and feel your heart swell.
she's wondering if it will ever warm up ~ Tif