Monday, October 17

the three C's... day one

crafting: (a 'dumptie')


now some folks may think i have lost my tiny mind and i am 'a-okay' with that, for Mr Spell Checker has mocked me and Darren Dictionary has informed me in his very knowledgeable voice, that the word 'dumptie' does not exist.
but how can that be, for 'dumptie' is such a spiffy word, it surely should exist
'dumptie' (pronounced dump-tee)

ever since i stumbled upon a 'dumptie' last week i have wished to fill my shed with them, i have of course used great willpower and only crafted three so far. 
two in my studio which in turn is our winter lounge corner 

the first 'dumptie' i crafted last week, this unexpected happening had me positively giddy with thoughts of  further 'dumptie' making
not wishing my first 'dumptie' to be lonely, i made him a friend

and one in our family room, an elongated 'dumptie' if you please


a little 'lumpy bumpy' but some of the best things in life have a little lumpy bumpy-ness to them

this elongated 'dumptie' waiting for two bods who like each other to share, reminds me greatly of one i saw a while ago on sfgirlbybay, originally the bench came from Anthropologie. through some clever detective work (whilst wearing a deer stalker hat) i found the image pinned on Victoria's spiffy pin board. (not bad eh for a monday morning). 

mine was crafted from my long midcentury bench, i made a peachy fitted cover from a fabby sandersons fabric and then using two large cushion inners i made a long cushion cover from a thrift store fabric find and a piece of quilting fabric. i did debate going to the store and buying a piece of inner that would be the exact fit but then my little crafty cogs turned and i declared the two cushion inners in my cupboard upstairs would be equally, if not better than. yes perhaps they do look a little 'lumpy bumpy' but i quite like 'lumpy bumpy'. if you do not, and that is perfectly alright, perhaps wrapping the two cushion inners in wadding may help with said 'lumpy bumpy-ness'

i am thinking any lone stool and any lone cushion could easily no longer be lonely if we spent our days wisely in our own sheds, pairing them all up. it could be as easy as finding one little wooden stool and one little round cushion you already have and introducing themselves to each other (or square, i have nothing against squaries so do not leave them out). 
it could also be a case of, the need to add a 'dumptie' to you life, is the perfect excuse to go on a thrifty jolly. searching for a little stool or perhaps a small side table with legs looking like they could do with being chopped down. then bringing home your spiffy find, giving it a lick of paint and then spending a few happy hours stitching it a cushion top to make it feel loved.
after which i am quite sure, you will be having to check regularly on your 'dumptie' and its condition staying maximum 'dumptie-ness' for if my 'dumpties' are anything to go by, they will attract a lot of attention from clan members and their derrieres.

do check regularly upon the health and safety of your 'dumptie'

and so i think it only fitting, as the word 'dumptie' is of a greatness level with any other word i know like 'peachy' and 'spiffy' and 'crappity crap' that those who have a dottie angel book in their possession may wish to add a little note to the back pages in the fine and dandy section, 'a dottie angel dictionary'. i am thinking you may be able to pencil it in or scribbling it on another little piece of paper and sticking it in might be rather nice.

dumptie
a spiffy little seat made for pondering
in between pottlings around and about
your abode

she is still beavering away with Miss Ethel, whilst sweating in her thermal vest, due to much beavering ~ Tif

34 comments:

Vintage Market Place said...

Too darn cute!
I wish our thrifts had such stools to make a dumptie.
I would love one to prop my feets upon whilst crocheting.
enjoy you day
Amy

donna!ee said...

very very interesting...love the dumptie concept, i'll add it to my dottie angel dictionary! blest be :)

Lynn Holland said...

I'm going to make a mini dumptie to go in my bathroom so that I don't have to stand on my tippy toes to look out of the window to nosey at what's happening on my lane....
Happy shiny sparkly new week Tif from the Lancashire lasses :-) xxx

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

I love the Dottie Dictionary! My dictionary includes words like Hippty Hop - which of course is hip hop music and Splenderific - when something is super splendid. We should all have our own words :)

WinnibriggsHouse said...

Yes I do think 'dumptie' should not only be adopted but celebrated. Being someone displaying definite lumpy bumpiness I whole heartedly agree it is a word that we all need. Long live dumpties! Just off to pillage one off someone to have ago myself.

jane said...

I thought dumptie was great but now I see 'double dumptie' my head is spinning.... :-) x x x x x x

Jessie said...

a dumptie addendum! love it.

Katherine said...

Super cute! Gorgeous!
I am wondering, did you make these stools? If so, where did you get those lovely long leggy legs?
Thanks for sharing! Your blog is eye candy!

Joyeful said...

why your dumptie is just positively lovely and I must find one for my own abode!

greenrabbitdesigns said...

I'm way to add 'dumptie' to my book! :)
Vivienne x

Anonymous said...

i love the round chairs

Mimi and Tilly said...

Your really make me smile! I love your dumpties. Em x

Karen Lewis Textiles said...

am loving your elongated dunptie ;-)

Pagette said...

OH how lovely! I feel inspired to make many a dumptie and spread them around my home. Such great fabrics too!

Spire said...

I'm immediately adding dumptie to the dictionary in the back. :) Thanx for making the day, just a little more colourful!
LenaE

Meeling said...

Lovely word...and I adore the mid century one...excellent job!!

PeregrineBlue said...

i couldn't help but laugh out loud. you can be soooooooooo funny.

silverpebble said...

Does this mean that Humpty was actually not an accident-prone egg-man, but a piece of furniture? I have a case of Monday confusion.

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

Can I pls move in with you?

Alison - Belovedly said...

Love them. How on earth do you keep everything so white? Do you whitewash everyday or just photoshop your pictures???

Maria Rose said...

I may need to make one for myself...

Country Mouse said...

Tif, these are darling! I just picked up a sad little stool, have painted her up and am trying to decide how to dress her up. She's a squarey. I am also curious about what you have covering your fireplace opening....is this some sort of patchwork and how is it attached or what is it made of?

Sadee Schilling said...

I love your blog so much! So much prettiness here with a wonderful sense of humor...I can hardly contain myself in my enjoyment. :) Stopped by for the first time last week at the suggestion of the lovely Stephanie Levy, and so glad I did!

charlotte said...

I think I am in love!! So so stylish and practicle and and and.................

Littletree Designs // Rebecca said...

I love the word 'dumptie'!!! I have a little padded stool that I bought at a car boot many years ago, very similar to your long one, only 2 bottoms might be a bit of a squeeze! And now I have a proper name to call it! my little dumptie!x

Pixie said...

I cant imagine where Humpty would of been if he hadn't had his Dumptie!

Pixie x

dottie angel said...

hurrah hooray for dumpties around the globe being crafted :)

the round dumpties are mid century stools found at fleamarkets, i gave them coats of fabric and yarny goodness. the cushions a top are also fleamarket finds...
however i have noted those legs are available in my local hardware store and also online :)

as for the fireplace, it is an unused gas insert which needs to be pulled out and sorted. whilst home Our #1 noted, during the summer, she could not believe i had not covered it up yet due to its non-pretty ways. there followed an evening of cutting up squares of postcards and magazine pullouts to make a patchwork quilt of paper. (some postcards are from my lovely buddy Jane from ATLITW).
it is merely tapped on the back to the glass, therefore easily removed if need be...

as for light and white. our shed is surrounded by trees and therefore on a dull day is most cave like. however when the sun comes out it positively lights up due to the huge windows we have, plus i paint my walls white to maximize the lightness. if need be on a dull dull day, i will lighten a photo, however i do not know how to use photoshop and rely on Colin and his basic abilities and Frankly Frank's grainny charms :)

also i have got energy efficient daylight bulbs in lamps, these can make a difference to a dark corner :)

Michelle said...

Ooooh my front room need a dumptie or two!

Anonymous said...

I adore your new lumpy dumptie. You are right. I am quite lumpy and quite lovely. I am sure of it.

Eleni said...

"some of the best things in life have a little lumpy bumpy-ness to them" - how right you are, Tif, how right you are.

Jenifir said...

I adore your dumpties and just days after seeing them, I have found my own! I have posted my 'before' picture and hope to have the energy to have an 'after' soon.

Anonymous said...

I just love your aesthetic sense...the color/pattern combinations in clean simplicity...the turquoise floral fabric is too die for. :)

KatieP said...

These are gorgeous - such a clever idea, and practical, too.

I don't suppose you know the name of that Sanderson fabric? It would make amazing curtains for my dining room!

Thank you. :-)

dottie angel said...

alas KatieP, i do not, they were vintage sandersons curtains when we found them, one was in bad shape, hence snipping it up!