Monday, May 5

a 'happy birthday' at the shed...

yesterday was a lovely day, everything went smoothly...it was our #2's fifteenth birthday, the sun came out to play, her mood (for want of a better word) stayed pleasant and i was spot on with the presies. (phew)

i had been to the mall on Friday, i managed several hours with my friend Annette and then i returned home with a few bags, several dollars lighter and rather pleased with myself. you see dear readers i can not be the only one who has trouble 'mall' shopping...i stumble around from department to department looking lost. the assistants look at me with that 'smile' of "what is she doing amongst these clothes, doesn't she know she is 'oh so wrong' and 'oh so old' for them"...
but i managed it (oh, the sacrifices we make for our children) and only came away with a mild allergic rash.


and so my little wheelie table came out to play again, we had cake in the sunshine...and i wished once again that i had whipped up something home made and picture perfect but alas it was a shop bought number in luminous green (very in, i am told) that our #2 choose herself. when we came to light it, i had forgotten the candles, not a candle to be found in the shed...after ten minutes of trying to find some i asked if she was willing to not have any candles, which of course did not go down well and so i sent our #1 out to buy some (she has become most handy since passing her driver's test )...


we also started work on the tree house, it is an elaborate plan, made all the more so by me and my 'creativity' which apparently is getting in the way of what boys want from a tree house. "you know Tif," my man told me "boys do not require curtains, furniture or pretty colors in a tree house despite what your magazines show you. no, they require a pulley rope and bucket, a sleeping bag and a lantern...and no, not fairy lights before you ask".


and so there it is dear readers, 'duck egg blue' has been banned from within several yards of any wood and i have also been informed that 'bunting' will not cut it either. but do not despair for me, i have mentioned the need for a 'british flag' and that was met with noises of approval, plus the color of 'sagey' green has been given the go ahead.

i have saved the bit about a few hanging baskets until further down the road...


in the meantime i have been told to "back off" with my 'doilified' ideas and tend to Gladys who has been neglected due to my need to paint another fourteen doors in the shed...

she's hoping the sun came out for you or if not, it will do soon ~ Tif

7 comments:

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

Tif, funny, i also am making plans for a tree house. but, i am lucky in that it is for my last child, a girl and only 7 years old. so i get to fluff it a bit as there will be tea party's served in this tree house. a swing will also be added too.the whole thing is my mothers day present :). amy

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

i am sorry, i forgot to wish your girl HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Anonymous said...

I especially enjoyed your comment about the hanging baskets. I share the same desire to decorate a tree house/or playhouse. I can't wait to see the end results. I'm sure it'll be fabulous.

I love how your yard looks with the airstream and yard furniture. It's gorgeous. It looks so peaceful and relaxing, the perfect place to pull up a seat and read a great book.

Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Anonymous said...

So funny. I have 3 boys and I can see the same thing happenig to me. Probably because the reason I really want to build them a treehouse is so that I can have one? :>

Francesca said...

what lovely scenes. unfortunately ben has zero DIY skills so i can't see him building a treehouse. we will have to spend £1000 at the early learning centre instead! all looks so idyllic tif.
x

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Good to catch up with you, you have been busy, Ahhh a tree house, my children watch on with envy!!!

Gigibird said...

Happy Birthday to your #2 daughter and well done you for getting her present right
Tree houses.....me thinks they are sheds in trees where spiders live....doilifacation would be wasted on such a structure trust me Tif:)
I would love a slice of the green cake....