Tuesday, February 1

Mr Shrew, a note or two and thrifty thoughts...


note one: debbie on her side of the pond and moi on mine, have spent the last day and a half marveling at how lovely you have all been towards our latest 'dottie angel ltd' adventure. as of this moment of tippity tapping i have 'checked and double checked' addresses and she has 'wrapped and double wrapped' notebooks for over 50 sets. words can not describe our delight in hearing the bell on my little shop door ring so many times. truth be told, we are a little gobsmacked.

we are thanking you most kindly for your response, if you are reading this and stopped by for a set of 'most happy' dottie angel notebooks, it was lovely to see you and we hope you will be most delighted with your purchase.

note two: thus far, i have been wearing my book writing headscarf for two days, it is a lovely coral granny pink number i found at the thrift store. 'tis a little summery for sure, but Mr Sunshine has popped his head out from behind the clouds so it felt quite fitting. yesterday when i was immersed in the world of dottie angel writing, Little Olive took full advantage, taking a nap on the couch. Little Olive on the couch is a 'no-no' and i must say she is very good about this, after all she has a suitcase full of crocheted goodness and did have a playpen until her cardboard eating ways got the better of her.
when i found her napping self (taking advantage of my distracted ways) she immediately stood up, claiming she needed only to use the couch as a 'step up' so she may admire the artwork which was tricky for a little doggie with short legs to see from the ground.

note three: in the name of research i have been looking through my archives upon this here rambly place.


upon reading several posts about thrifting, thrift stores and thrifty finds, i have whipped myself up into a thrifty feeling frenzy and now all i can think about is going to a thrift store and getting a thrifty fix for my addictive ways. good grief this is not the kind of thing a book writer needs to distract herself with, i tried to find posts that do not mention the thrill of the thrifty find, but alas it would appear they are quite thin on the ground. i have taken a few moments off from my research, splashed some cold water upon my perspiring forehead, whilst thinking it will take more than a cup of tea and a chunk of chocolate to steady these shakes. i am not sure i am strong enough to fight the 'urge to thrift', i fear i am weak and will by tonight surrender to my addiction.

note four: as noted in 'note two' (if you skipped a little, then you may have to go back, but do not worry, we will wait for you to catch up) Mr Sunshine has appeared. as is always the way, little teeny tiny critters are lulled into thinking it is time to wake up and forage for some edible treats.
poor poor little Mr Shrew, i can only say it was not how i wished your day to go, nor mine. for finding you on the stairs, left by a feline friend of mine, scared not half to death but completely, on the first sunny day of the year was quite a trauma for me, but i imagine it was even more so for you. whereever you are little Mr Shrew in that great Las Vegas in the sky, may you have eternal sunshine...

she has her florence nightingale cap balanced on top her book writing headscarf due to needs of a clan member and is noting it is causing her forehead to perspire even more ~ Tif

24 comments:

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

my goodness, your doggie is so clever. And if your doggie is so swift with the clever retort, I can only imagine what a handful your children must be (wink).

Hope your children feel better soon.

Sweeter Hours said...

I very much love that laundry basket.
And the S&P shakers too!

L~ said...

i love your humor, thank you for the smiles & smirks!

L~
p.s. and the pretty pics too!

Unknown said...

Oh no! once you get the urge to thrift theres no turning back. It's either thrift, or contimusly think about it untill ou do!
Good luck on your book , (I want a book writing headscarf in coral!)
Your cat sounds very like mine, who has taken to leaving featery friends (or her eniemes) on our doorsteep to find in the morning.
Not the best way to start your day, but what can you do?
xx

Francesca said...

i would be perspiring if i had a clan member in my house! i jest. just conjures up a disturbing image!

i confess i skipped a little bit, i had to go back. it's 6.11am, my brain can't take in so much information this early.

great news about the books, they are really adorable. x

Teresa Kasner said...

Tif, just thought I'd pop in and tell you that your jar jackets inspired me so I did one on an old aqua Ball jar and posted a photo on my blog. I put a link to your blog there.. hope that is okay.

I love your style. Teresa down below you in Oregon

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Geez Tif....I ALWAYS give into those THRIFTING urges....I learnt an unpleasant lesson a LONG TIME AGO when I did as you're ATTEMPTING to do & AVOID giving into my desire to put aside important work to satisfy myself with a QUICK THRIFTY FIX....Well I got myself an EYE ACHE of mammoth proportions that stayed with me for a WEEK....So PLEASE heed this advice....NO GOOD will come of denying yourself I warn you now....GO ON....I KNOW you want to....hahahahaha....!

Looking forward with the GREATEST of expectations to receiving my sweet little Dottie Angel Inc notebooks....!

Cheers from Oz,
Tamarah :o)

Anonymous said...

Poor Mr. Shrew!! He deserved a better fate. I wonder if their was some sort of quarrel existing between him and the Feline Friend, who decided to end the quarrel by Shakespearean and dramatic means. Such is life.

I've been craving some thrifting myself, and will probably go out this afternoon. I'm quite lucky to work in a tea shop that is situated but three blocks from a wonderful thrift store. My pocketbook does not feel quite so lucky.

Marlene P. said...

When I saw the sun come up (and stay up) yesterday, Seattle seemed tolerable. I hope that you were inspired by the weather (a trick to make us think that Summer might be grand). I have to keep my eyes fixed on my next trip to California- dawned in tank tops and flippy flops.
Marlene

Hoola Tallulah said...

ah you are a funny thing, your ramblings are always a joy and remind me why there is nothing, indeed nothing at all, better than British humour!

Heather said...

Oh! Poor widdle Mister Shrew! That revelation would throw any author of her game. Maybe you do need a thrifting break to put yourself to rights! I had one yesterday and it helped ever so much.

Candy Pop said...

I love love love your blog served with a nice cup of tea! :)

Rita said...

i have never commented on your site and i feel the time is due. you have been such an inspiration to me over the last year. from my paper hearts currently hanging over my couch and my gleeful bundle delighting my kitchen door...to my 2011 resolution to buy only used and handmade items...YOU are to thank. rather than reading your blog and finding myself wallowing in my fruitless creativity (which so many blogs can make one do), i find myself in my sewing room gitty with anticipation over what i will walk out of it with. thank you, dottie angel.

dottie angel said...

well what a lovely end to my day, sitting here admist studio chaos, (but good hard book working chaos i might add) i took a little break with a cup of tea and your words have made me most smiley. and most smiley is just what i needed before i serve up condensed chicken soup for dinner, from a can and with quite the gray tone i note...
thank you kindly my dears!

dottie angel said...

oh and shabby vintage junk, i love that denying ones self of thrifting can cause an eye ache of mammoth proportions. indeed i did deny myself and low and behold, i have an eye ache today! gosh you are so wise ;)

Greedy Nan said...

My most happy notebooks arrived this morning so I too am most happy. They were beautifully packaged [was it a page from CL magazine] with some Rowan big wool tying the whole together. I love it!

Julie said...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! My notebook set is here. A perfectly cheery and uplifting event in an otherwise heavy-hearted day. Thankyou x The dilemma now is which one to use first!

Arthur Ransome said...

Dear Tif, This might not be the best place to say it, but your jotters arrived this morning and they're absolutely spiffy! I love, love, love them - thank you! I'd meant to give 2 away, but now I'm not so sure. Love from your friend, ungenerous Arthur x

dottie angel said...

delighted to hear they have arrived and you are so pleased with your little handy dandy notebooks... this has made me beam and debbie beam, thank you kindly :)

Greta BB said...

Dear Tif

Just to say my little notebooks also arrived safely, they are lovely! I am now in a dilemma as they are far too nice to actually scribble in. Do you plan on putting some of your lovely Aprons in the shop soon? I am hankering after one. Just to wear generally I mean, not to cook in (they are far too nice for that!) Love from sometimes sunny Kent xxx

dottie angel said...

greta bb, how lovely they have arrived and you are pleased, thank you for your kind words on them :) as for apron wraps, yes indeed i will be making more, but not until i have finished up on my book. hopefully i will have some in spring to put in the shop window :)

Anonymous said...

It was a great surprise to see your work in the magazine Flow here in Holland. A pity they didn't write an article about you but only used your photo's. maybe an other time? Love your blog, your paperhearts are hanging in my new bedroom. Greetings from Marian

campwandawega said...

I love the vintage feel of this basket.

an-magritt said...

Dear Tif!

I have just left your Etsy-shop, with av "most happy" trio in my basket. I just LOVe these books. and I can hardly wait until they arrive to my home here in Norway. thank you for your blog. thank you for all the beautiful things you make. all the words. you are a BIG inspiration to me. i my blog, I have not showed all the things i like to make, because its kind of a interior-blog. but I love to sew an make things from second hand fabric, paper, things and stuff. for a time ago, I made a lot of childrens clothes. my home i stuffed with second hand findings. I love the idea to let furniture, fabric and stuff get a new chance. with some paint og just a bit love, they can live for a long time further.

I am a mother of 4, one girl and 3 boys, a cat, 4 hens and a rabbit. we live on a farm, here in Norway. so for me, it is important to make the most out of the things we have. make new clothes out of old ones. make treasures out of the things we already have.

so I read your blog with a great entusiasm. (pardon my kind of wobbely-english, i dont have the pation to correct all the wrong spelled words. ;))

have a nice evening, Tif.
God bless You.

Hugs from An-Magritt