Saturday, January 8

the happiest of happies....


hurrah hooray!!! nothing quite like a new shiny year!


when i was younger (oh so younger than today) i did not care for a new year,
i could not see what all the fuss was about.
but as i have aged,
(like a cheese, although i hope i smell better than a mature cheese. perhaps then a wine, no i do not drink wine so how about aged like a thrift store forsaken soul. not the sort that have dings and several limbs and an ear missing, but the kind that are a little ragged around the edges, perhaps the odd flea bite but none the less they still retain a certain charm that is appealing to others. yes that is it!)
i have noted that there is something perfectly peachy about starting a new one.
'tis a nice way to start 'a fresh',
a clean slate,
a new page if you will.

i have no idea why i am so taken with this year
as opposed to any other new year that has come and gone
but i am, and i might add i have even felt a little giddy when looking towards it.
my giddiness led to making the coming year
(which is here now, but wasn't at the time)
a gift of sorts...
some thing to make the year know i was happy to see it.


on the 27th of Dec, the day before Our #1 flew back to old blighty,
i got 'a crafting' with papers, fabrics, thread, paint, glue, yarn and an old drawer...
the sort of crafting that results in pottling,
i think that might be my favorite kind of crafting,
for it takes my mind off matters of the heart,
things that might make me sad are pushed aside.
i find myself distracted by my 'crafty moment'
and i find a happy place

the result of my 'crafting whilst pottling' was a little diorama.
actually it is not little, it is quite big.
i found the drawer from an old desk my man was using to store seeds in outside.
he did inquire as to where i had found my drawer
but i pretended not to hear (a positive about age-ing)
however my big drawer, is full of little things.
things that i feel are befitting the new shiny year to come...
and what is more befitting a new year
then some new shiny resolutions!!!

i tippity typed mine on a piece of paper taken from my granny's exercise book.
i felt sure this would help in a higher success rate than the usual 3 days
before a resolution is broken.
i had so many i needed to add on...

resolutions


*smile often (makes one look younger)
* make a new friend (a furry or feathered friend counts)
* eat less chocolate (tres tricky, failure every year for over 40 years)
* stop counting wrinkles (getting bangs/fringe greatly helping obsessive counting)
* write a book (deadlines are looming)
*smile often (see above)
*do not nag (no one likes a nagger)
*if nagging completely necessary for safety of others, then a little is allowed (after all i live with teenagers, funny how dogs and cats don't need to be nagged, it is more the two legged members of my clan this applies to, chickens not included)
*eat fruit every day (new motto, an apple a day keeps Mr Lurgy away)
*learn a new craft (i have one in mind)
*turn 43 with grace (this i am bound to fail at)
*keep a plant alive (i am so excited about finding a little plant to love, perhaps this plant could count as my new friend! yes that is brilliant!)
*think high hopes when cooking (this is the most repeated resolution of my life since having a clan)
*be a good recycler (i.e. don't be lazy at 11pm when clearing away the kitchen crappity crap)
*carry a vintage cotton hankie every day (no more throw away tissues, unless Mr Lurgy is visiting and only then if it is really really necessary)
*most importantly, quite possibly thee important thing of all, feel a little crafty at least twice a day, which without doubt will lead to smiling often! (this is the one resolution i truly think i might have an advantage at not breaking)

resolutions cont'd (next page)


*stress less (i might have to take a class on this one)
*write more snail mail (so lovely to get a handwritten note)
*ponder every purchase, including thrift store ones (glup!)
*bake edible cakes (a small miracle required for this one, but one i think possible)
*wallpaper lounge wall despite protests from clan (protests needed to have been put in writing and postmarked by january 1st, i did make this quite clear... have received no letters in mail box addressing the situation so looks like the protesters weren't listen when i used my quiet voice)
*put plans in motion to move back across the pond (this may take years but it is good to plan ahead)
*oil Miss Ethel (sounds a little dodgy but we know what i mean)
*smile often but not the cheesy kind of smiling, but the genuine nice smiley smiling kind of smiling (i may need to take a class on this too)

so there we have it,
i had several more resolutions popping into my head since tippity typing this lot,
but now they have popped out again,
lost in the black hole in my bonce that most things fall through if i do not put pen to paper quickly.

when my little shiny new year box was complete
i popped it on the mantle piece...


along with the little china bunny who happened to find me on my thrifty trip with Our #1,
the first day after her return to the shed.
i have never ever found a little bunny of such splendor before...
to make him feel even more splendid i crocheted him a cape.


after me and my man had dropped Our #1 at the airport,
we returned somewhat with heavy hearts and sat upon the couch.

my man commented
"that is quite the thing you have going on there isn't it?"
"is it the year of the rabbit then?"

"i have no idea" i replied
"he found me and i thought him quite lovely".

after a little research my man announced
indeed 2011 is the year of the bunny rabbit
and more to the point the rabbit only comes around every 12 years.

upon knowing this bit of information,
i thought to myself how my thrifting trips are rare these days,
and how lovely to think,
the one time i go with my thrifting buddy back by my side,
just like the good old days,
a little bunny finds me
and in return i give him a little cape of crochet
and put him in my 'new shiny 2011 year' box.
i am without doubt thinking this is a sign,
a very lucky sign telling me, 2011 will be most shiny indeed.

and with that thought in mind,
may i just thank you kindly for the wonderful heart warming comments
you left for me over the holidays...
i cannot thank you enough for all the kindness you showed me in 2010,
and
i truly wish for you all
a happiest of happy,
shiniest of shiny,
new year!!


she is smiling despite noting the laundry looks like a mountain and not as she wished, a mole hill ~ Tif

66 comments:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Happy Shiny Year to you too Dottie! It sounds like you have plenty planned to keep you busy. I'm a bit nervous about the year of the rabbit thing, our girls have been pestering us for years about getting some real ones. Maybe I could find some bunnies like the one you found instead? Enjoy your crafting sessions and I've heard that chocolate is really good for you so don't worry too much about that one.

Timolily said...

Beautiful, just beautiful, what a wonderful blog posting and a most inifinitely super start to 2011. from one 'slightly lost' (as in turned left at the corner shop instead of right and ended up here..) brit to another..may your bonce be full of amazingly inspired thoughts this year ♥

Pagette said...

Thanks Tiff - Great post. And a very Happy New Year to you!. I love your new year box, lovely idea.

Unknown said...

You are so right, we have been gifted a shiny new year! Great resolutions - here's to a fantastic and yes shiny New Year!

Lola Nova said...

What a wonderful diorama and fantastic resolutions! I am wishing you were just down the road for I could help you out with your plant (I have an aloe in a cardi and one in a turtleneck left that would be most happy to come live at mossy shed. I have found them quite hardy and very forgiving.)

I too am looking forward to this shiny new year and am most happy to hear you using the word shiny, it is a word I am quite fond of you know.

All the best in 2011 my dearest!!!

Thea said...

Happy New Year Tif! Your blog always brings a smile to my face. I look forward to following more of your creative adventures. x

lunefantasy said...

happy new year to you and the little rabbit too...
It's a pleasure to find "your world" the last year, and it will be a pleasure to continue to read you this year

Rsolutions, oh the big problem for me... I do have not but this year a blog friend tags me... so It was an obligation to find it.
You can read it here
http://lunefantasy.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/4-et-pourquoi-pas-3-ou-9/
I know it's in french but the photos are a way to understand

But one I forgot "have a better english language"...

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Well I for one am so happy to have found your blog, as my own resolution to smile more will be easy to accomplish with regular visits over here. Thank you very much! p.s. adore your shiny new year diorama and the bunny with the crocheted capelet!

Romy said...

That is so beautiful. Amazing, I love it so much! xx

Shelley in SC said...

So good to have you back blogging after the holidays have passed. You gave me much to smile about and to ponder. Happy, happy year!

Sarsaparilla said...

Oh, what an uplifting post! Happy New Year to you! I love your Year of the Rabbit shiny year diorama - and your (very long) list of resolutions. My, you must be feeling optimistic! If I can steal two of them, I'll take Stop Counting Wrinkles...and Write More Snail Mail.

Thanks, this was so much fun!

Daisy said...

Happy New Year Tif. I love your creativeness and reading your blog.
Hugs
Daisy xx
Ps youre not on your own with the laundry mountain! x

Arthur Ransome said...

So glad to have you back! What a lovely bunny and I do admire the diorama (it sounds a bit rude, doesn't it?). Ignoring that - Happy New Year from this side of the pond - love, Arthur

Sweet Birdy Love said...

Hey Tif, happy new year to you and yours and your 'new' bunny is indeed very shiny and sweet. It looks like a bunny with super duper powers with it's little crocheted cape.
Nice of your man to notice your new diorama and comment in a positive way.
I am sure you had some wonderful thrifting adventures with your #1 by your side.
Here's to your list of resolutions may you manage to keep them whilst smiling sweetly not cheesily, which can be easily said, not so easily done.....

Claire X
P.S. Is this the first comment for 2011??

Greedy Nan said...

These are just the kind of resolutions to have, because they sound reasonable keepable.

Debby said...

I love your thoughts., The bunny with his new cape is so cute. Can't believe that it IS the year of the rabbit. That should bring you good luck for sure. Hope your new year goes well.

HowtoBEaCOOLoldLady said...

just all quite lovely loveliness really. thanks

made-and-found said...

What a lovely idea,Tif -pottling certainly is the best craft of all...the rescuing of the little rabbit with the lovely crocheted cape is surely a sign of shiny things to come.Happy new Year.
Anne x

My Handmadehappiness said...

what a lovely post :) I love your diorama :) It made me smile. it will be your year... The rabbit says so!! All the best in 2011 tiff xx

Little Blue Mouse said...

What a perfectly lovely new shiny year diorama.
Your bunny is so cute with his little cape.

Anonymous said...

what a lot of resolutions! Good ones mind, but a lot to remember to keep! Good luck xx

Unknown said...

is your fella Brit as well, Tif?

Anonymous said...

Lovely to have you back, Tif!
I hope you have a happy 2011.
I just love your bunny, it's always the year of the rabbit in my house. :)
Vivienne x

Kerry said...

That was such fun to read. I have a good feeling about 2011 too...and why not!

dottie angel said...

oh how lovely to hear from you all!

yes indeed my man is a brit :)

diorama is indeedy an odd word is it not! i learnt it quite quickly after moving stateside and my kiddies came home from school talking about dioramas and then that was it, there followed years of shoe boxes being transformed into the little scenes from books they had read etc


hope all your mountains are mole hills this weekend my dears!

cowboybunny said...

What beautifully written resolutions! That is so fitting to find a bunny this year ;)

Devon said...

What a lovely post..and I am with you I am hoping that 2011 will be a bright and sunny year..I am excited what the year will bring to your lovely blog..Happy Shiny New year..

Unknown said...

My smiling grew for every line of this wonderful post. And that is the most beautiful, funny and inspiring box I have ever seen. Love the threads, the cape, the mix, everything. Amazing.

Tina said...

What a fabulous start you have made to the shiny New Year Tif! I LOVE your list and your diorama is just fabulous!! Wishing you a fabulous 2011 filled with all things wonderful ~ Tina xx PS ~ Love your bunny :D

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Thank-you, Dottie. I needed that. Now forget reading other blogs. I'm going to go make something NOW.

Hoola Tallulah said...

Fantastic resolutions, and gosh how wonderful about the bunny, doesn't the world work in such wonderful ways sometimes?
Wishing you the happiest of new years and best of luck with those resolutions, there really are quite a lot!
I love your diorama btw, inspired, as always.
Greetings from rainy England XxX

Anonymous said...

I had to look at your flickr since you were gone so long. I loved the photos! I feel for you, I really do. I was a mess when my kids were merely out of state. Still am, now that they have flown the coop for Euroland. (pat pat) Well, there's family there for yours, that's a relief!

imperfectly natural mama said...

An excellent choice of new years resolutions and so beautifully displayed. Quite inspired. I think my favourite one is to use hankies, very sensible.

Naturally Carol said...

Happy New Year Tif, don't like to think of you as so much of a 'forsaken' soul but one ensconced in your little mossy shed with ...all the love in the world...!! Have a wonderfully 'molehilly' year. I've enjoyed your lovely catch-us-up post this Sunday morning...just the thing for a Sunday...quite perfect in fact!

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

Happy new Year to you and your brood Tif!
Wow, that is certainly a big list of resolutions :0)
And you also have your new friend ('rabbit')resolution already done....or was that before Christmas? Sorry, I can't remember..

Love the diorama. never heard of one over here, but they're a good idea, and yours looks scrummy.
Havea great weekend.
Love Donna x

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Oh Tif how WONDERFUL to find a FRESH SHINY new post from you on my return from the market today....WELCOME BACK.... :o) !!

I'm LOVIN' your little diorama....Tis positively PEACHY....!!!!!

I hope you have a SPLENDID year....I'm looking forward to sharing your thrifty adventures....!

Cheers from Oz,
Tamarah :o)

Teresa Kasner said...

Dear Tif.. loved your post and your diorama. I have a plant/friend suggestion for you. I read an article about the 10 plants that add the most oxygen to your home and one of the top ones was a Sansevieria - Mother-in-law tongue or Snake Plant, and they are VERY easy to take care of. I just got one after I read that article and it's doing superb.

Hugs, Teresa from Oregon

dottie angel said...

gosh thank you for all the lovely words about my little new shiny year diorama!!
and as for the plant advice Teresa and Lola, thank you kindly! i do have a particular one in mind... but i think your choices most wise for someone like me! i am actually really excited to think of my new little green friend and what i will call him :)

and i am delighted to report today was a very good day for hankie use... something comforting knowing a hankie is close by in pocket for all emergencies no matter where you are!
and yes bizzy days! you are quite right, the little bunny rabbit with his crocheted cape of splendor is indeed a new friend :)

naturally carol... you are so lovely :)

Anonymous said...

I am loving your blog and am so thankful to have stumbled upon it...thanks to seeing your dottieangel challenge on another blog I read :)
Love the diorama and the resolutions...I look forward to seeing what the new year brings.
xx

*❀* said...

the best of happiness and health to you for 2011, no doubt you will make it a super-creative year.
your posts are so beautiful, i could admire tham all day long.
started my own little bloglet this week :o)

Charlotte said...

I do so wish we were neighbors, you seem to find the happy and prettiness of life...my wish for you is that you fulfill all of your resolutions and that you are content in doing so. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you, too, Tiff! I love your resolutions and the diorama that you made for them. :) And your husband's comment. I am not reminded of my own diorama I wanted to make...so much to do in a new year!

Carol said...

Good heavens above Tif, what a list of resolutions. It will take me until 2012 to digest all those!
I have made just the one - try to keep smiling!
Your new year diorama is amazing, really, really special. A perfect addition to the shed.
My dear friend, I wish you the peachiest years with early sunrises, long warm perfect days, sunsets to make your heart zing and health and happiness for all those you hold dear.
Carol xx
p.s. it is always the year of the rabbit in our garden (then again perhaps there wouldn't be so many if I didn't feed them in winter time.............. crackers that's me!)

Sarah Anderson said...

What a heart warming, smile inducing post. I so enjoyed reading it! Love your diorama too, I'd never have got away with 'borrowing' that drawer ;) I really like the dangly cotton reels :)

Genevieve said...

So beautiful & your resolution to smile more is worth it's weight in gold. Wishing you all the best in the new year!

Oli said...

Thank you for you blog. I invite to visit to my blogs of kitchen, decoration, picture and hand made. Kiss of OLI

http://entrebarrancos.blogspot.com

Selfsewn said...

Tiff you are odd..but I do like you!!
Hope there are a million smiles for you in 2011!

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a lovely shiny post for a Shiny New Year! My favourite resolution of yours is to carry a vintage hankie. I used to always do that and I have the most gorgeous collection but I found that I didn't want to use them so would just sniffle instead. They make you happy when you open your purse and see them. Your rabbit is gorgeous especially with his cape!

glam.spoon said...

happy shiny new year to you too! I could have written the same list of lovely resolutions (except maybe for keeping a plant alive, I'm no longer allowed to bring them home for they will surely die)... and I love love LOVE that your bunny found you! he absolutely deserved that little cape. best of luck to you and yours this rabbit year.

Minx's Den said...

happy new year! I sure enjoy reading your blog and viewing those pictures! you and I have very similar aesthetics and taste! great list of new years resolutions too! i like your upbeat attitude on everyday life! hope your day is bright and crafty!!!!!
-Lauren :)

my name's Morgan. said...

those are good resolutions...and really pretty crafts.
i really like your blog.

-www.catch13.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi Tif, this is the very first time I read you...and I'm absolutely enchanting...I adore every little thing I see and read on this wonderful blog! I guess you're gonna be a sweet inspiration to me!
I'll follow you and wish you a bright, happy 2011!
Laura@RicevereconStile

Trisha Brink Design said...

I can always find so much joy in your writing...thanks for reminding me that we don't have our little junkin' buddies forever. My oldest is only 7...but he's the best at spotting all the greatest junk on those lower shelves! The 4 year old still tends to find all the best dust bunnies....which is incredibly fitting for the year of the bunnies! Heee hee teee heee! :o)
Thanks for all your lovely inspiration in 2010...looking forward to 2011! P.S. I adored your Etsy Video too! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you, Tif!! Best of luck with all your 'perfectly peachy' resolutions ;-) (you're more brave than I in writing them all down!)

Ellen said...

My resolutions: 1) check in on Dottie Angel repeatedly to help reset my design compass (you help me to be more like me), and 2) check in on Dottie Angel repeatedly to help reset my design compass. oh! and the hankies? I keep a stash to give to girlfriends as gifts.

Sharon said...

What a charming (although a tad daunting) list of resolutions! Love the knitted blankie on the little rabbit in your sparkly diorama.

The Hobbit said...

Had no idea it was the year of the rabbit. How exciting ! Don't you feel a certain bounce in your step? Must get hoppin,sooo much to do,Feeling like I'm late, I'm late.....for a very important date.

Ada and Lilly said...

Wishing you a very happy new year! You make me smile so..... and thanks for making an 'isolated' crafter feel less 'isolated'. Best wishes from a Brit misplaced in the wrong county - i need to go'home' to the Lake District. x

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Dottie ~
I so love your guzzied up NY drawer, especially the bobbins, lace, hearts, and words ~ all, just perfect! So glad your year is starting off so well. Blessings to your dear heart!
<3 Katie

Me said...

Sorry I'm late, just been catching up with Blogland this evening, but had to stop by to say 'Oh, this is wonderful!' I hope that you had fun creating your masterpiece, it looks amazing! Particularly looking forward to hearing about the purchase of said Green Thing, and tales of it 'staying alive' :) Happy Shiny Year to you too x

Anonymous said...

Oh Tif! Happiest of year to you! I so love your diorama and I could stare at it for hours! It would make me happy hanging around. A pleasure to see how much love and passion you put into these things!
Hugs
Yvonne

michelle said...

I have never left a comment on your Blog before so I thought it was about time I did as I read it all the time. Tif you do make me laugh and I am truly inspired by your diorama to make some long overdue resolutions myself, especially to smile more often.I will indeed start tomorrow!!!!

Cilipus said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful work - Love it -
Cecilie

dottie angel said...

i am simply blushing with your loveliest of lovely comments!!! truly i am delighted you should like my resolutions, my diorama and my little 'good luck' bunny with his cape of crochet!
as i read your words i was positively beaming, i wish you all the bestest of besty new shiny years!!

Pam said...

we might be neighbors.....i live in the kingsgate/kirkland area ....i am from canada...I love your blog dottie angel...

♥ maaria said...

Actually I should really be ashamed of myself! Enjoying your postings & craftings & everythings sooo much, and leaving a comment sooo seldom.
Thnak you so much for sharing your thoughts & inspiring!

♥ *coloring it red*

Wish you a marvellous rabbit year!