Wednesday, August 13

woolly waifs and strays ...

i have a cunning plan. it involves thrift stores and neglected woolly cast off waifs and strays.

i happened upon my plan when i found myself in a department store downtown with Our #2, we rode the bus all the way from the suburbs to the big city, tis one of my favourite things to do. we alighted in the main commercial shopping area and went about our busy bee business. Our #2 had quite a list of wishes and wants, to attend to and i had only one. to find some pants. not granny knicker pants but pants that are trousers. after several hours she had done most brilliantly and i? well quite frankly i had done pants and it was all a load of old pants. i fear i am in the tricky dicky time of life, you can no longer linger in the youthful section due to filmsy fabrics and short hemlines and then what are you left with? well i do know elsewhere you are left with quite a choice but for some reason i do feel in the northwest i am left with very little else. *i can start to wear beige, i can start to wear designer jeans and high heeled boots, i can wear very fancy and frilly, i can start to wear keep fit gear or climbing a mountain gear or i can start to wear my pajamas or sweats. perhaps i am wearing blinkers but when i look around at what is presented to me in the stores for my age and era it makes my heart sink, i start to break out in a rash and then i start to feel crappity crap

thus when we climbed upon the bus to make our very snug way home (due to many a commuter also having the same idea) i decided i had one of two choices. feel crappity and middle aged and quite out of place, or feel joyful and middle aged and find my place. it also occurred to me 'tis a rare day i go to the clothing stores and there is a jolly good reason for this, i come home feeling unhappy. i know it is me who makes me feel crappity crap and no one else. i do this to my own silly self. but do it i do and therefore tis up to me to sort it. 

so there we had it, knowing all that i knew to be so over the past few years and having had it reinforced to me upon my pottle around the big wig stores, my eye and my heart truly do prefer handmade or as of late, loitering in the thrifts store aisles to see what clothes may catch my eye. thus my cunning plan came into play to lift my spirits and not feel quite so washed up as i did. often i wander the secondhand souls looking to see who pops out at me saying "pick me pick me" but now i am thinking perhaps it is wise and rather exciting to actually start to have a mission. and my mission being to find woolly waifs and strays who may be most up for a bit of yarny bling. i will of course have to consider how much one can woolly bling for i do believe there is a thing as too much woolly bling and i would have to say to myself "enough Tif, step away from the woolly blinging"

i am thinking woolly elbow patches, or woolly pockets or perhaps a cascade of woolly appliqued flowers down one shoulder, or a change of buttons, or indeedy, a nip or a tuck here or there to give shape to a shapeless soul... so many possibilities, just the thought has me quite giddy in anticipation.

so far my travels have not come up trumps but i did find a little sweater vest which made me ponder, it made me ponder for the longest time causing Our #4 to start to sigh. 


for argyle is not my thing, i must tell you i am a little frightened of it but when i closed my eyes i saw this little fellow over a floral frock and clog boots, with the possibility of 'a tad of bling' and all became clear. i like that muchly about thrift stores, you go with one thing in mind and end up with something completely different. i did not let my argyle friend know despite coming across his splendor i was a tad disappointed his companions were not quite right. one sweetie in the most loveliest of green and perfect fit, cried out for pockets and elbow patches but alas, her itchy ways meant she could not stay with me, we parted a little sorrowfully.

i like my cunning plan, i like it very muchly, it has made me feel quite happity, wondering what lovely woolly wonders will befall me over the coming months to give my closet and my attire a little freshen up for the chilly days which will be upon us before we know it. what woolly waifs are waiting on the racks of despair to be found and blinged... ah yes, there is a stirring in my heart for thrift store travels i have not had in the longest time...


*please note, i am not knocking what folks chose to wear, that is the last thing i would do for quite honestly some or many may look at my floral creations alongside of clogs and wonder why. i am merely just pointing out the options i feel are open to me, living where i live and perhaps with blinkers on rather than rose coloured specs, make my heart and my head a little sad

footynote: haha hehe, tis most ironic for a fair few of the thrifty clothing finds which catch my eye usually turn out to be from the big high street stores, take my argyle buddy, he was from Gap... so i can only imagine, it truly is a matter of blinkers or rose coloured specs and what one chooses to look through when out and about :)