Friday, February 5

this side of heaven...

i told my man upon his return to the shed last night that the 'linky dink' gods were against me.
he gave me the 'knowing look' that all techies give to non techies.
the look that says
"there there, non techie fool"

after several minutes of him doing his thing,
all the time listening to me over his shoulder advising
"did that, nope that won't work, tried that... yep, and that"
(which was really aiding him nicely)
he came to the conclusion that it was not me or my little shiny place but something far greater out in cyber space.
i knew it! i knew it!
i have not been jinxed by the 'linky dink' gods after all...


this and one other thing has got me as giddy as the giddiest i have ever been.

("steady on Tif" i hear you exclaim "don't want to see Mr Vertigo and his wicked ways take advantage of you".
"oh you are quite right, thank you kindly for your concerns" i reply)

in fact i fear my giddy ways will keep me up all night with eyes wide open,
anticipating tomorrow and what it will bring.
let me enlighten you as to the reasons for my 'dizzying' excitement...

our #1 noted to me at the beginning of the week that we had six months left together and we had better make the most of it.
she then enquired as to what my plans were for Saturday morning.
i announced they were the usual Saturday morning chores in paradise,
laundry,
watch little olive,
toilet cleaning,
remove little olive from where she should not be,
vacuuming,
encourage little olive not to bring in a whole branch but be content with a twig
feeding the clan,
and
picking up 'snow trails' left by little olive
(although i must confess the laundry side of things is not quite so 'chorey' since i gave my little laundry corner a 'lickity lick' of turquoise)


she then proceeded to tell me she knew of THEE Mecca of all thrift stores.
that indeed it could quite possibly be the closest thing to heaven this side of the pearly gates.
i told our #1 that she knew just how to sweet talk her mama.
i then told my man, i was unavailable on Saturday morning for my usual Saturday in paradise
and i was handing all responsibilities over to him.

i know how it will go...
she will drive,
i will clutch my handbag and press imaginary peddles,
we will enter together,
we go our seperate ways,
we will talk on phones half way round,
she in the changing room,
me in the furniture section,
we will meet at the end,
we will admire each others finds,
we will line up together,
we will get to the cash till,
she will announce she appears to not have enough money on her card
(looking at me with big eyes)
i will say
"oh, just give it here... but don't tell your father"
she will smile sweetly,
my heart will crack,
i will catch my breath,
knowing we only have
six months of 'thrifting together' left...

and so tonight,
i shall lie awake 'giddy'
whilst 'visualizing' a lovely pair of Swedish clogs with painted flowers on,
waiting for moi
this side of heaven

she is wishing you some 'visualizing' of your own this weekend and will return next week with glue stick in hand ~ Tif

42 comments:

lucy said...

Enjoy your thrifting day, I would be quite content to spend a day in that laundry room x

elsy said...

have a wonderful time on saturday....i too an trying to cram lots in with youngest before she scoots off...awful isnt it?

Diane and Kelly said...

Oh Tif,
The scenario you described with your #1 has indeed rung a bell with me with regards to my #1. I can't help but wonder if they trick us into thrifting with them because it is for certain we will pay for their finds. What do you think?

Kelly
Second Hand Chicks

Carol said...

That is a very smart laundry, love the lickety lick of turquoise. Oops, cute little Olive and her snow trail!
Have a wonderful day with #1 and bring back lots of braggins to turn us a gentle shade of green.
Carolxx

PixieBelle said...

I'll visualize beautifully painted clogs for you as well. I hope you both have a wonderful time tomorrow

Amy said...

I am loving your laundry corner, it is very sweet, I wouldn't mind doing laundry so much if my laundry room looked as sweet as yours :)

Caterina Giglio said...

adore your pretty laundry room! I too shall visualize your clogs for you!

Jennifer said...

Oh how exciting, I bet you won't get a wink tonight. I love your laundry room by the way, so cheery. Laundry wouldn't be a chore at all.

Rachelle Blondel said...

Oh Tiff what a heart warming story I can't wait for the day that me & miss v can wander & rummage our way through the charity store..i think I already have her in training as she is particularly good at pushchair grabbing the lower shelves!

Sue said...

Enjoy the trip with no1,the only one of my four that enjoys a trip to a charity shop lives 200 miles away,so we don't get to go together very often but we make the most of it when we do.Look forward to seeing your treasure.

Sue

Andrea said...

:D
Love this. I do the same thing to my dad. ;)
:D
I wish you many happy days in the next "6 months"...and forever, of course.
Andrea

Kristen said...

I'm excited with you! Please share your finds with us...I'll be rooting for those clogs. : )

Pamela Holderman said...

Oh sounds soo fun. Have you tried Goodwill in Seattle? I have found the best old books, frames and "things" there. I am sure you frequent Redmond's Value Village too?

Lyn said...

Oh I want a utility room just like that!
Love
Lyn
xxx

Hausfrau said...

What a sweet laundry corner!

Rachel said...

Sounds you have a delightful Saturday in store! Enjoy a wonderful thrifty day with your #1. I vote for Olive to do the Saturday chores!:)

Serenata said...

Wonderful! 'but don't tell your father' - I've heard that before ;-)

I just love your laundry - you have inspired me and I AM going to do something about mine upon returning from holiday.

French 76 said...

Bless! This post has given me pangs of mumsickness - I am downunder and she is up over in the UK. Good luck thrifting with #1 xx

UmberDove said...

It's been such a week of wonders and my "Visualizing" is right on track so tomorrow morning as I sip my coffee I'll be sure to visualize hard, the very perfect pair (or two!) of wooden clogs for you.

And if it really is a mecca, and you want to share it with the rest of us thrifty PNW types... well I'll be around!

HAVE A KICKING DAY WITH YOUR #1!

Michelle said...

Oh Tif that sound just like a visit to the grocery store with my oldest and dearest...
Boys tend to get giddy about food not thrifting...
Oh I wish he liked op shops it would be so much fun...

Hoping all your thrifty dreams come true!!!

silverpebble said...

Dear Tif,

There seems to be a tradition of clogs here in Blighty. Now I think about it, being a northerner I do remember something about clogs and mills. Here is a very nice gentleman who might be able to make you a cloggy commission, with hand-painted flowers, the only drawback being leather uppers rather than wooden uppers:

http://www.clogmaker.co.uk/

jessica daisy said...

I hope you have a lovely time!
Jessx

Jak said...

A 'crack-me-up' post to cheer my dreary Saturday morning up. I wish I was going with you! I can't wait to see what you find.
Jak

*jean* said...

oo i wish my laundry area was that cute!

Polexia said...

seeing your pretty laundry room just makes me want dirty clothes to clean! (i have some that i am ignoring, hidden in my room) your pictures are definitely influencing my vision of my dream house.

Rubyred said...

Wow, tis sounds EXACTLY like a shopping trip with my daughter!
Rachel x

Aqeela said...

Hello Tif, ive just spent ages (as in a whole hour) eating icecream and looking at your flikr photos. i have seen your hallway wallpaper in a few places now and i would absolutely LOVE to buy some, pretty please could you tell me who its made by and what its called? I hope you dont mind,
Aqeela xx

Elissa said...

hope you had a lovely time thrifting together.
loving that lick of turquoise....

Norma said...

your laundry room is wonderful! after the bathroom make-over, i'm going in to the laundry room. thanks for the ideas.

anna said...

Your blog makes me smile so I am nominating you for the Sunshine Award! You can find the details on my blog here: girls-go-green.blogspot.com keep up the good work!

* said...

oh yay!!! i can't wait to hear how it went.

Hello there! My name is June said...

My laundry room is jealous of your laundry room's decor! I absolutely love it & it's vintage charm!

:o)

Ragamuffin Gal said...

I think your blog is just this side of heaven! I have been reading it on and off for the past hour and you are a breath of freshness to this old heart. I love thrift stores too! Mainly, I like to look at things and imagine what I can make them into ~ it's a destresser that won't wear you out or make you loopy. Thanks for being out here Dottie!
Blessings to you!

beachvintage.com said...

I LOVE this laundry. Amazing and wish mine looked the same.

Peggy said...

Hi Tif
Do you know what brand and color of paint you used for the aqua? I want to do some trimming in my house with that color! Thanks.

Something Special said...

A very unique blog. I am creative with my hands, but not as creative with my blog. I love yours. Please come by and visit my creative blog. I am having a sweet little giveaway which ends tomorrow morning. Come check it out. I will be back to visit your blog.

folk city said...

I'm interested in joining your "Challenge of the Utmost Kind." Is there anything I need to know about the 'linky dink' gods in order to include the challenge image with a link to you? I am so utterly non techie.
Cheers,
Heidi

http://folkcity.blogspot.com

folk city said...

I can't believe it... I actually figured out how to add your Challenge of the Utmost Kind image and link to my sidebar. Praise the linky dink gods.
-Heidi
http://folkcity.blogspot.com

dottie angel said...

oh lovely dearest readers, let me tell you i am most warmed by your 'visualizing ways' on my behalf... i will return tomorrow (for it is tres late on a sunday eve) to tell you of my thrifting tale :)

but briefly, the wallpaper in my hallway is by Graham & Brown, their eco range.
and the paint in my laundry space was a can i already had from before, it is once again a Benjamin Moore Aura paint. i had them color match a turquoise color i found...

see you in the morn my dearies :)

Heckety said...

That's the way we shop too, but it really is the best way to keep the relationships with the daughters sweet, don't you think???

Julie B. said...

Love the laundry room! I have some old 80's wood cabinets that I would love to paint. I really like the look of the vintage sheet curtains. What did you use to hang them? Suspension rods? Unfortunately, my cabinets are made in a way that the rods would not be totally flush with the side of the cabinets.

dottie angel said...

hello Julie :)
the cupboards were in mossy shed when we bought her. i took the doors off and painted the inners, they are 80's formica though and painted well with ordinary household paint. i used suspension rods to hang the curtains.
good luck with your cupboards!
Tif x