Thursday, January 14

a 'threesome of the utmost kind'...

as my man left for work on monday morning he enquired
"will you be getting dressed today Tif?"
i replied that i was indeed thinking about it as i was planning big things with Miss Ethel,
but i was also sorely tempted to stay in my pyjamas and dally, for Mr Hook's brother was calling my name.
my man then asked if it was possible for me to spend more dallying time with him and less with Mr Hook and his brother.
i told him this was quite out of the question as i had just reapplied my lip salve.
he went off to his desk job a rejected man and i stayed home dallying with guilt...

never has a 'groupe de trois' been so in the forefront of my mind since the heady days of flu last winter and my delirious imagination having thoughts of me, colin firth and johnny depp...
if you are sitting comfortably, then i shall enlighten you to my shameless ways...


it all came about last week.
after revealing to you the antics of me and Mr Hook over the 'gleeful' season, i got rather 'boosted' to try new and exotic things with my yarn. but unfortunately Mr Hook was not up to the job in question, so i cast him aside and pondered. after a short interval of me pondering and him cast aside, he piped up "no worries, i have a brother".
my little eyes lit up upon hearing he was bigger than Mr Hook and best of all he had a PHD in the very subject i wished to study. of course, being that knowledgeable meant he liked to be called Dr... quite understandable i feel.
and so it came about last friday, i started my love affair with Dr Hook when no one was home to cast a 'disapproving' glance in my direction.

in the beginning he was a little 'off' with me, slightly distant, as though he was perhaps too good for me. i tried really hard to please but it was to no avail...
this twosome was not working out.
in a desperate need to make it work, clinging to the remains of our crumbling relationship, i suggested we found a friend to join us.
Dr Hook suddenly looked most interested.
a little while later, i found a willing participant to join our threesome.
her name is Dorothy, at least that is what i called her.
in my giddiness of finding her and her willingness to participate, i forgot to ask.


we have dallied in every chair in the shed... Dr Hook, me with chevron blanket in the making and Dorothy in the background with her soothing tones and lovely soft hands.
it would appear my 'groupe a trois', perhaps not quite so lusty as one with colin firth and johnny depp, is indeed a match 'made in heaven'.

i have told my two close friends that although i may appear to neglect them during the day, spending time with Miss Ethel and my clan, that they are never far from my thoughts. i will, whenever possible, spend stolen moments with them, albeit under the cover of darkness when the shed is asleep.
we have a long way to go and i'm hoping no squabbles will arise.
i tell myself to trust Dr Hook and his PHD,
compliment Dorothy regularly on her nice hands,
keeping them 'sweet' at all times
and that despite my doubts with the colors i've used,
the end result will be worth all the hours of dallying...

she's got a special guest for tomorrow... oh yes! it's a 'question of crafting' time, one not to be missed. ooooh nice ~ Tif

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear, I needed a laugh this morning. Something to lift my mood. Lord knows, I was down. Where did I turn? But to you dear Tif.

Thanks.

Jennifer said...

I just love reading your posts, you have such a way with words. That sure is a beautiful blanket.

Francesca said...

i love dorothy. can she move in? i always love your colour combos, so perfect. x

Christina Lowry said...

Your chevron crochet is looking fantastic. It took me awhile to work those ripples out too, but I found the pattern at Lucy's blog great (Attic 24). I think the colours are really working well and will look ravishing once finished! :)

Francesca said...

p.s. you're so right about my shop by the way. two weeks? who am i kidding! i'm still eating pizza out of the boxes and trying to locate my clothes.

Francesca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amber said...

Oh my goodness - that blanket is gorgeous...I think I may need to hook up with my own Dr. Hook and find Dorothy to make my own blanket - amazing!

theroofcat said...

Your space is so homely!! I love what you do with it...


www.theroofcat.blogspot.com

Sxx.

montague said...

sooo pretty! what kind of wool are you using?

Veronica said...

Your blanket is lovely. Your, Hook and Dorothy have done well.

Hear Me Roar! said...

I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT about learning crochet via youtube! There's hope for me yet, as your words of wisdom once upon a time about the benefits of the crochet over the knit (it's SO much faster! you said) have planted a seed, that heretofore had gone unsowed. Thank you muchly Tif, as I've started to be feel quite jealous about all the nice things the crocheters have been making. And good luck with your chevrons! They seem to be working out quite well!

Tara said...

hi there -

i just wanted to tell you (again) how much i love your style! i'm currently reexploring my personal style - and find you to be such an inspiration. you so masterfully combine vintage of different eras.

silverpebble said...

Dr Hook sings songs too doesn't he? Isn't one about 'eyes'? He is clearly versatile and has talents various.

Joshy and belle said...

Dear Tif
I've been Reading your blog for a month or two, this evening feeling rather glum I sat with a fire roaring a big cup of tea and belle my fluffy cat on my knee I know I'll look at dottie angel I thought, your husband sounds so like mine I thought I'd read him ur post, but alas he wasn't listening I even asked him questions at the end, who is mr hook? To which he answered - husband! Men eh, he then went into the kitchen and picked up my thrifted granny jar from weeks ago asking is this new!? All is not lost for when he was shaking his head in disbelif at my crochet tales and second hand kitchen pretties I was setting your blog as his home page on his beloved I-pod!!!

paola said...

Saw your picture on Holly Decor8's Interior Styling group. I love it!

(And love the granny squares hanging up even more - what a lovely idea...)

Anonymous said...

I have absolutely no idea what your going on about here!

jen said...

I am so pleased that you and Dr Hook have formed a strong bond. I am sure that he is singing to himself 'When you are in love with a beautiful woman', but perhaps that is showing my vintage by knowing such tunes. It is so nice to see others who love all things crafty and appreciate a bit of retro flair. By the ever increasing price of my retro finds it is becoming more popular, the sheep have caught on to us. I have for years told the family that I am not strange as I know how to weild hooks and needles, they are not just weapons of mass production of tea towel edges and pot warmers of our grannies time. They help produce works of art, and lovely things to keep them warm, a fact that they have finally learnt and on the approach of each autumn fight over who will be the proud owner of the next blanket and can they choose the pattern. The youngest's last request was for a poncho that reached her knees, with a hood so she could come home from work late at night and completely curl up on the lounge and when the need arose to raid the fridge the warmth came with her, she also scored a pair of nearly matching knitted socks to complete the outfit.
thanks for sharing your thoughts and art, brings a smile everyday.

Callie Grayson said...

love the colours!
I will have to make one of these blankets.

xx
callie

Beki said...

I'm crying with laughter here, thank you for starting my day off in such a way. So glad i'm not the only one who likes to stay in her PJs all day, a habit i'm finding very hard to break since Christmas.
I'm now trying to think which of your threesomes i'd prefer, both would be good ;)

Take care
Beki xxx

karenshopes said...

It Friday morning and another boring day at work is ahead, then I read your post it made me smile
and now I'm ready to face the day.
Karen x

Jak said...

Your blog is such a breath of amusing fresh air, loving it.
Jak x

Nina said...

Ah!
I too lead a double life.
A certain Mr. Koukku (transl Hook) pays me regurlar visits.

Devon said...

What a cute post...thanks for sharing..good luck with the threesome..

dottie angel said...

so happy to have raised a smile with my 'groupe a trois'...

montague, the yarn i use is good old, colorful acrylic :)

felicity, you have made me chuckle to myself, what a wonderful thing to do for your husband!

annon. i totally understand, half the time i have no idea either :)

Tif x

Unknown said...

oh miss Tif! i was most looking forward to a steamy tale involving Johnny Depp and Colin Firth (although the latter not quite so much)... ;)

Donna said...

I love that chevron pattern...really beautiful!

Loriann Macko said...

Have only recently stumbled upon your blog, after seeing you mentioned in the current "Artful Blogging" publication (congrats!)...I'm absolutely tickled over your blog - your recent post made me laugh out loud, and even a few tears came to my eye corners!! I'll definitely be checking back frequently for more delightful reading and inspiration!!

moline said...

That is what I needed today! I just love to read your blog posts and I can fully relate to staying in pyjamas all day because some crocheting has to be done!
yvonne

Anonymous said...

Hi Tif,

Just for a bit of fun, I sent you an award:
http://threeredapples.blogspot.com/2010/01/7-things-you-didnt-know-about-me.html

xx