Friday, November 20

a 'week of glee' ~ day five

i thought it most appropriate, seeing as today is the two month anniversary of starting my handcrafted thrifty challenge, that we focus our final day, within this gleeful week...
upon 'vintage and handcrafted' glee
"hang on a mo, Tif... surely that's what you've done all week, it's all handcrafted and vintage gleeness as far as we can see"
and quite right you are, it has been, hasn't it.
i am it would appear, most predictable...

in the space of two months i have found many lovely secondhand finds for the shed, and many i have left on the shelves... wishing to give a home to, but knowing my man would leave.

in the space of two months i have found, but only one item for my closet.
a rather dubious vomit colored leather coat that i am telling myself the color is so mesmerizing, passersby will not notice the pen marks,
and after all, what can one expect for $15

in the end my need was so great for paint, as it truly plays a big part in the transformation of my thrifty finds, that i could not do what i wished to do with a scrapping of leftover gloss white and my 'neverending' can of scary pink paint.
i confess, i bought some eco paint...
when all is said and done, this has been my only new purchase since the challenge began

and so to end our 'week of gleeness'
i bring you,
'snippets of glee'
little bits of secondhand or handcrafted 'loveliness' to bring a gleeful mood to mossy shed this season...

a lovely red midcentury modern, lamp base, found in ethanollie's etsy store


a kitschy angel, perfect in her colors, made in japan and as if that weren't enough, she's a money box as well (i know! isn't that peachy)


yarn balls in a thrifted red dish (always a winner in my books)


a seasonal tin tray sporting a 'gleeful' design


a pair of glossy red clogs for the wall that any little elf would be proud to own


the 70's gleeful tree 'wall hanging' found on etsy and waiting to be turned into an advent calender when a creative moment appears


and the insides of my little box of 'glee' from the attic, waiting to shine this 'gleeful' season


i do hope this 'week of glee' has been most 'gleeful' for you dearest readers and that you may go forth into your own 'gleeful' worlds and spread the word of 'glee', making the world we live in a bit more 'gleeful' for others, so they too can 'feel the glee'...
(did i really just pen that last paragraph, truly quite a 'gleeful' message i feel)

she will return on monday with a 'thankful giveaway' full of glee ~ Tif

29 comments:

Leah said...

I can always do with some more "glee".
Thanks for a whole weeks worth.

Pearl and Pebble said...

The best day yet! Love the lamp!!!

Michelle said...

Dear Tif...
I shall go forth and spread the glee...
and all that it represents this christmas...
thanking you for showing me the way...
Michelle...

Vic said...

What a gleeful end to a gleeful week my dear!

I ADORE that red dish that is holding your balls of yarn with such stoic silence. In fact, I wish it were my shiny red dish. I do.

Have a marvellous weekend - Monday can't come too soon for a change!

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

I am so pleased you bought your paint! It makes me feel not quite so bad about buying a red pot now. I really thought you were going to go the whole year without buying anything. Oh the relief that you are normal.

Sorry I don't mean this in a mean way so please don't take offence. I can't believe you have gone without so much for two months now. You are awesome!!!

dottie angel said...

so happy the glee has been so well received this week :)

and sarah,
ha! you have no idea the guilt i felt buying my paint, i felt sick inside, like i was doing something so very wrong!
isn't that funny how it happens, yet i knew there would be times i would have to perhaps buy new... but i actually have had no need for two months to even look at new things, nor have i wished to, which makes me most happy... except of course the need for paint ;)

i guess if i go a whole year with not buying any 'tights or undies' then it will make up for my paint!

Tif x

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

I enjoyed your week of glee. :)

I've been hunting down vintage supplies for some Christmas ornaments I'm wanting to make. It's been so much fun searching on Ebay and Etsy for the items I need...except I'm struggling to find vintage red pipe cleaners. I'm trying to decided if I'll try dying some of the white ones I ordered or if I'll have to break down and buy them new! (I'm planning to make some vintage style pipe cleaner candy canes with the kids for our tree.)

~ Jennifer

Lola Nova said...

Ooh, so much frothy goodness...and yes, glee!
Are those new red shoes, or blue shoes gone red? Can you make my brown eyes blue? Does your thrifty emporium have a never-ending stream of quirky Dutch folk dropping off wooden shoes? Wouldn't that be glorious and or disturbing!

Thinking she needs some soothing herbal tea to quiet the voices, she bids you a sweet weekend.

Lola

dirtandhoney said...

OK, i have to ask about the crocheted trees.... did you use a certain pattern or form? I'm trying to make a few for my home and can't get a good form going. Thanks!

dottie angel said...

i made my little trees last year,
here's the link
http://dottieangel.blogspot.com/2008/12/christmas-crafty-part-one.html
hope that helps you ms shelby :)

jen, can't remember exactly your exceptions to the rules, but i'm thinking somehow it's possible to buy them as you are handcrafting with them... and if you've done your best to track some down secondhand and this can't be done, then i think it can be an exception. i actually went and looked in my meagre collection, left over from when the kids were little but i have no red ones. i wish that i did though :(

French Knots said...

Thank you for the week of glee, I have enjoyed it and an feeling gleefully festive now!

Rubyred said...

Oh how I have loved the week of glee, what a treat!Love your artful displays!
You are such an inspiring lady!
I keep arguing with myself about whether I should join in your Challenge of the Utmost Kind! On the one hand, I don't buy clothes very often, so that wouldn't be so bad.I've made quite a few handmade Christmas pressies from my stash, so that would be okay. But the thought of a WHOLE year is a bit scary.I shall sleep on it I think!I'm off to spread some glee!
Rachel x

Floss said...

The little angel works for me, Tif (in the company you've given her). I'm really surprised, because Kitsch-R-Not-Us, but on this occasion...

Jennifer said...

How fun, I love the clogs full of knitting needles, and the pot full of yarn. Great finds.

Geek+Nerd said...

Tif - you and your house are so darn cute! Or should I say gleeful? I'm insanely jealous of the following a) the angel, love it b) the tray and c) that lamp! I've been on a quest for mid century lamps to no avail for awhile now, and that one is perfect!!!

Big hugs to you - thanks for making my coffee time more gleeful and fun :)

Unknown said...

This is a great post ! all those vintage finds looking sooo fresh!!

mary jane said...

glee indeed...i'm loving the piny pine cone tray

Junk Exchange said...

found your off artful blogs - wonderful bog you have - very inspiring - thank you for sharing -

troy

Stitchy said...

Wow! I just found you through the flickr group, Granny Chic.
Love your style, bright, quirky and of course vintage.

And I have to say, you're getting me in the mood, even though it's a little early for me.

Come for a visit, we have a little in common!

suzy said...

I think your home and your things are so beautiful. I just love it. love, love, love.
Your week of glee was wonderful.
The sad thing is we always want more.... :))))
xxx

Elicia said...

i am sure the giveaway will be fab. loving the glee! and i think i love that coat.

Lisa Super said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I think I may hand stitch a garland for my pink x-mas tree! Did I mention that my Mom is the ultimate thrift store queen and that she's been "living" your challenge for the past 30 years? NOTHING new for her. Oh yeah sister!

Lisa

Unknown said...

Ok, I have been lost in your blog for 2 hours. I had to stop to say hello, don't think I like your blog, just know I love it. I don't know which way to go. There is so much to see and do here. Such an inspiration. I'm going back in. This is why I get nothing done around here.
Enjoy your day!

Kate Kelleher said...

Oh your coat made me laugh....please keep going, we need more smiles in wet old London.

Knotted Nest said...

great week of glee! I've really enjoyed it. Lovely blog!

Ash said...

I so love that lamp and all those kitschy finds!! I love it all!!

rachel mason said...

breathtakingly beautiful.

i nominated you for an award...go to my blog to read about it if you have a chance.

thank you!

Amanda said...

I absolutely love that angel! What a find.

heidi said...

i love that tray. in fact i picked up several at a thrift store for a steal and have transformed them into magnet boards for holiday giftys!