Monday, July 27

when all is said and done...


well, that was easy...
sunday afternoon in the city,
mid summer,
over 95 degrees heat


and what do you have at a 'meet and greet' artist afternoon?
a table full of food,
two exhibitions,
two helpers (making the space look a little busier)
and two artists waiting... and waiting some more



out of the half a dozen or so people that braved the heat to visit our basement yesterday afternoon, three were my actual family so i don't think that counts, four appeared to have 'stumbled' upon us, perhaps hoping for 'air conditioning' but finding none. and then we had two friends of Anna's and her art teacher.
a medal goes to my friend Maggi from down the road accompanied by her lovely little baby, who braved the heat, to soak up some culture in the heart of a very fried city.

i 'talked the talk' with one artist friend of Anna's who kept me on my toes, and quite helpfully allowed me to see 'inside' the workings of my 'thoughts' a little deeper, so it wasn't all in vain.



my favorite moment of the 'hot and sticky' afternoon came when our #4, having been dragged out of the shed to visit with his mother, helped himself to a big slice of cake and then promptly sat down amidst my installation and ate his 'prize' for 'showing support'.
for you see dear readers, it was 'home from home' and rather than sit on the art gallery chairs he choose to make himself comfortable, completely unaware that it was my 'installation' piece...
if only i had my camera to hand at that moment, but alas i was soooo busy standing as close to the fan as was decent that the 'moment' passed uncaptured...


but i do feel that you were all there in spirit yesterday and that is what counts, your words of support helped me no end...
i have a few pictures for your perusal today, not easy to get due to no natural daylight and an awful lot of bright, 'oh so flipping hot' artificial lighting. but i think you will get the gist of my little corner display.


it was a challenge for me to 'place' my installation in such an 'urban environment' preferring perhaps an old derelict house, empty and painted all white from top to toe... but it pushed me way out of my comfort zone and i am thinking that isn't a bad thing to do every now and then...


she is busy preparing for little olive's arrival on thursday and trying to keep 'her cool' whilst practising 'life wearing contacts' ~ Tif

18 comments:

Tracy x said...

you did it, you did it!
i am so *very* proud x
much love and waaaayyyyy too much excitement for puppers arrival :)
t x

Unknown said...

oh Tif it looks lovely, you have mangaed to dottie-fy the corner of an industrial looking building very well... and i'm not surprised your #4 made himself at home! ...and see, it wasn't so scary after all... :)

can't wait for the first pics of 'olive' ~ and to see whether the rumours are true or not... ;)

hugs,
emma
x

Lola Nova said...

I think you did a right lovely job with your installation! From the photos, it looks quite inviting and I wish I could have made the drive north to visit. Especially since there was cake!
I also find you very brave to have taken this on, good for you and inspiration for me.

I'm off in search of the other fan that I was sure was hiding down in the basement. Stay cool.

Lorene said...

I think it's a lovely "installation" and am sad that you did not receive more visitors! At the very least, I hope you had fun creating it!!!

michelle said...

it looks gorgeous! if it wasn't that i live in Australia i'd have been there!

janetclare said...

it looks really good, Tif. Shame it was too hot for people to come and see it.

Lin said...

Very lovey! And can't wait to see pics of your new little Olive!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I wish, I wish, I wish I could have been there! I have been a lurker for ever so long now, and finally just had to comment on your little corner show! I have recently been forced to get out of my own self-imposed comfort zone, and when all was said and done, it wasn't near as bad as I had imagined it to be, and I actually enjoyed myself immensely!

Anonymous said...

Many things -
It looks lovely!! I genuinely hope you make a little book with your images and ponderings. And layering the photos with doilies is awesome!!

Also, contacts are fantastic. I've had them many years.

Lastly, beginnings are never in vain.

Kylie said...

You did so well with that soul-less space! You made it look interesting and I would have loved to be there :) K

Shell said...

I like your exhibit. It's good to jump out of your comfort zone. Makes us stretch and go on new adventures.

Michelle said...

oh tif...well done...
see... truly any space can be dottie'd
love your pics all hanging up...
and good to see a bench monday shot in there...
we were all there in spirit...

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for Dottification - wouldn't it have been fab to set it up inside Gladys and tour your exhib?
The Full Doily!

Well done - you did great :)

E

Lucy said...

I wish I could have been there.

Jenny said...

Your installation looks lovely darling. If I had been in the area I would have made it a point to visit and tell you just how amazing you are myself.

Francesca said...

tif it looks great, like a little corner of your home...with lots of pipes on the ceiling. and you know i would've been there, we all would have, had we been in seattle. i'm glad you did it, maybe you should do some kind of craft fair. much as i like to hide behind my computer screen, it's good to get out and meet people. x

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

I wish I was closer so I could have seen it all in person. Everything looks gorgeous!

I can't believe the weather you've been having. We have barely hit 80° at all this summer and it's now August. (I think we had one or two days.) Today is perfect. 65°.

Such a rare treat for this fall/winter loving girl!

Tam said...

oh I love your studio - I hope to blog about my envy soon xxx