Tuesday, July 21

outdoor living...

ever since i can remember i have loved the idea of a 'living' space outside.


now those of you that know me well would be most correct in thinking that when i say "ever since" it could mean ten years ago, last year or perhaps even last week. as my memory is not my friend these days it really is a bit of a mystery as to how long i have wished for such a space... i am quite sure i was but a 'wee babe' in a cot when i first started to think such lovely thoughts.

to have a little bit of the outside covered over allowing a few pieces of furniture to be left 'out' along with some cushions really is just the most 'loveliest' thing in the world. no need for 'all weather' mass produced stuff here.
with an overhang, indoor furniture can be dragged out along with thrift store finds to give a lovely eclectic air to the space... and no fear of a sudden impromptu shower or two

nearly 41 years on, that 'wee babe' in a cot... gulp! dear god, i have only just got use to saying 40 and now i'm on the brink of 41... it's rushing by in a blur, made worse by my 'lack of remembering'. why is it my 'recalling' issues do not allow me to recollect what i made for dinner last night ("just as well Tif" i hear you cry) and yet i can recall my age precisely to the day... sod's law i suppose.
once again i have digressed where digressing should not be allowed, for today we are focusing on 'el fresco' living.
and so at the grand old age of nearly 41, i stepped off the plane on sunday, greeted by positively lovely 'hot' weather and returned to the Shed to survey what had been going on in my absence.

you'll be glad to know, all is well...
and the yard is looking especially wonderful. to be surrounded by such greenery in the middle of urban life is really quite a treat. i look out on my surroundings and i could be miles from anyone, and strangely that is what i am liking more and more. i fear in a few years i will be a complete 'recluse' requiring only my chickens, used dog, the rest of the clan and just my 'cyber' world for company...

the veggie patch is coming along a treat,
the chickies are getting ready for 'a laying'
gladys still stands there, forgiving me for my 'trailer abuse' of late
and an 'overhang of the utmost kind' has been completed whilst i was gone.


it doesn't get much better than that...
in the past day and a half i have set about creating an 'outdoor' living room,
dragging out items from mossy shed,
painting old chairs


and hanging up paper lanterns.

she loved her visit to 'old blighty' but she sure is happy to be back in her 'nest' ~
Tif

22 comments:

Michelle said...

Tif where has the time gone...
Last week I reached that 41 mile stone and I just remember posting and chating about the last one too...
But what a great pre pressie...
your very own "pergola"...
so cool...
so glad you are back safe and will wait for more installments...

AppaloosaMoon said...

...i've found that, one of the beauties of traveling...

is that it makes coming home such a pleasurable adventure...


PS: love your work, love your post!

martha brown said...

Welcome home! I love your new covered porch! And not to worry -- you will forget how old you are soon! over the past few years I can't remember how old I am. Am I 42? 43? But I CAN remember my year of birth, and I figure it out. Sometimes I am surprised -- I thought that I was turning 45 last year, and I was only 44! Not remembering my age is my favourite part of my less than perfect memory (I'm actually thirty fourteen)

Kylie said...

What I love (and find slightly alarming!) about reading your posts, Tif, is that it's like reading my own mind... The thought of a retreat has been featuring heavily in my mind of late. I want my little nest away from the should's and the ought to's. Are you going to grow grape vines on your patio structure?... shade in summer + sun in winter.
Glad to see you back in your nest again.
K

hanna said...

I am so glad to have found your blog. You are so great at telling a story - even with the digressions - including the digressions even! And also I want your wardrobe (the clothes of course I mean not the actually wardrobe.)
Oh and I love your little outside space creation.

Di said...

Outdoor rooms - just a dream in Scotland, but a beautiful dream!!

So all the better when you can see other people's spaces and dream of a summer of sun....

louise35flower said...

Your new outside room is perfect, I love the mix of chairs and especially the blue topped table, does it have oilcloth attached? If so I may pinch that particular idea for my worktable.
Glad to hear you arrived safely home...... I just love your blog!

Unknown said...

hello my dear!

so glad you're home safe and sound and posting such lovely posts again... :)

and i'm loving your new outdoor living space, it must have been such a treat to come home to... btw, the lanterns are adorable, as too is the polka dot bunting!

have yourself a wonderful sunny day... :)
emma
x

dottie angel said...

thanking you most kindly for your 'outdoor' space comments...

kylie... no grapes i'm afraid, we have had the 'grapes' discussion and it's been concluded that despite the niceness of having one's own bunch of grapes to pick it would make the kitchen at the back of the house into 'batman's cave' and that would never do as i don't own a batmobile and 'winston' hasn't got it in him anymore :)

and yes! oilcloth is on the table, fixed in place with my best friend 'miss s. gun'... works a treat for an outdoor table.

Tif x

maisy and alice said...

Tis an English thing to dream of 'outdoor living'. An outdoor space complete with plump cushions is a vair vair desirable thing, when you live somewhere wet and cold. On arriving in Australia from Old Blighty I was almost overcome with the abundance of such spaces, So I appreciate your joy at your delightful 'pergola'. And, at nearly 41, you are but a spring chicken!

Pomona said...

Just discovered you via Snapdragon's Garden. What a coincidence - I have recently blogged about my holiday sofa outside, under my (cough) homespun pergola! I think it is a great idea - outdoor living is to be recommended! A great blog -I'll be back!

Pomona x

laundryetc said...

Glad you got home safe and sound. There is nothing like a trip away to give you clarity on your return. At least you are an age that you still feel able to make public! Your new outside room is a treat. You inspire me.

Kristy said...

I know what you mean.We have a summerhouse at the bottom of the garden and I love that we can just leave it 'set'. Shame we have to get wet walking to it though!

Teena Vallerine said...

and a very fine nest it is too! Loving the outdoor dining area. wonderful if you have the weather for it - at the moment we would need wet suits to enjoy such a treat! t.x

Hear Me Roar! said...

I'm overjoyed that your back! The posts have been amazing as always, and I've been noticing the progress over at your site as well. I'd love to have another brainstorming get together one of these days, as I'm gearing back up to make a go at the etsy thing again. By the way... have you SEEN how much a vintage embroidered pillowcase sells for over on etsy? I'm in the wrong line of work!

P.S. Your digressing is your readers' favorite thing about you, I have absolutely no doubt.

Abigail Thomas said...

Hi Tif, Just wanted to let you know I have passed on a blog award to you. You can pick up the image from my blog and distribute to your favs too.

http://abithomas.blogspot.com/

kat said...

how lovely!

we are blessed with a gigantic backyard, & even a lovely brick patio - but no shade/weather structure.

welcome home :-)

jacci r said...

Love the caravan in your garden, we have one as well that doubles as a 'Grandpa' refuge! Not quite so retro though!!!

Mary said...

Welcome back! What a wonderful outdoor space!

Vibeke said...

LOVE your blog AND work dear dottie!
I find lots and lots of inspiration every time i visit, thank you :)

I would like to make a post about your wonderful blog, do you think that is ok?

Hello from rainy norway,
Vibeke.

Francesca said...

you should submit mossy shed to living etc...looks like something off the cover. so lovely to have you back. xxx

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

Welcome back! I love the new outdoor space. I dream of that someday.

But right about now, I'd settle for grass.

A yard sounds divine at this point in my life...especially with the rain we keep getting!

~ Jennifer