Thursday, July 23

thrifty thursdays...

if you are sitting comfortably then i shall begin...

once upon a time in a far off land lived Tif, a young slip of a girl and her 'used dog'. Tif was an 'addict' and once a week she would head into town to get her 'fix'.
'used dog' would wait patiently behind at the shed, never knowing what sort of mood Tif would return in... had she got her 'fix of thrifty finds' or would she come home empty handed and 'down'.

on one such day, Tif was in her local thrift store noting that instead of being super quiet as she had hoped it would be in the school vacation. it was in fact 'heaving' to the point of bursting at the seams with people looking for 'something'.
this did not bode well in Tif's scavenging mind... and just as she predicted, the 'pickings' were slim and her 'fix' was looking more and more doubtful.

then she spied 'it', not a 'oh my, where have you been all my life' it.
but a 'ummm, perhaps i am beginning to lose my way in the thrifty world' kind of it.
and so as nothing else was leaping at her, (not even colin or johnny sadly) Tif decided to take a gamble and purchase the 'it' thing in question. after all she was looking for goodies to decorate her overhang out back.

on returning to the shed, Tif put her 'questionable find' in the back yard to survey.
'used dog' sniffed the 'it'
then she sniffed again
soon after she had to go and have a lie down as the whole 'it' thing made her feel quite faint.

whilst 'used dog' rested, Tif set about trying to create what she had envisioned at the thrift store, with the help of some pink paint and Miss Ethel.


("oh Tif can we just interrupt you there?",
"why yes of course dear readers, what is it?"
"well, you said pink paint, isn't that a little 'bright' for you and your color phobia issues?"
"good question... i must confess i have conquered my 'brightness' fears of late and gone to quite the extreme, unleashing 'bright pink' on several items in our outside area, i think you would be most proud of me... ")

now back to this gripping tale of 'addiction', 'thifting' and 'transforming'...

and so after a happy hour or two, a small swan appeared from within the ugly duckling...
not a 'radiantly fabulous swan' but a swan never the less


after her lie down 'used dog' felt much better.
on taking a good look at what Tif had done with the 'ugliest' stool in the thrift store she gave it two 'paws' up...


giving Tif the confidence to carry on bravely rescuing 'dubious' looking things no longer loved and bringing them back to the shed to enjoy a life with their new 'coats of many colors'...

the end

she is off to get those pesky gray hairs fixed yet again ~ Tif

18 comments:

Teena Vallerine said...

It's a jolly hula hoop stool! Love it! (love that dog!) t.x

Unknown said...

you go girl with the fabby bright pink!

and i love the pics of used dog, especially her 'fainting' episode... and don't dogs have such great smiles!? i'm sure she was very pleased to see you when you got home from your adventures!?

oh, and i know 'orita' is off to a good home... can't wait for the pics :)

emma
x

ps ~ feeling much less grumpy today!

Amber said...

Looks fantastic - LOVE the story :-)

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

I love the brighter colors that keep creeping into your decor. The stool looks so nice!

And, the story and 'Used Dog's' photos were great.

~ Jennifer

maisy and alice said...

Thank you for brightening my rather dull day, I smiled several times and quite broadly whilst reading your delightful story and the stool is really quite a triumph, what vision you have!

Lola Nova said...

I must say, I probably would have passed by it without a flirt, not even a glance (of course I have been rather out of sorts these days). You have made it quite cheerful. Well played.
Now if some of that rough into diamonds could come my way - that would be helpful. I've got some questionables to turn into thumbs up over here.
Welcome home!

Kylie said...

Such a lovely story - charity and redemption!!! ;)
Used dog does have a very loveable smile :) K

Michelle said...

my tif...
that is a stool...
very lovely in it's vintage outfit...
I'm glad "used dog" approves...

Anonymous said...

love the cover. and i'm thinking you may have to eventually start selling stools, too... ;)

Rubyred said...

Love your 'questionable find' Tif!especially the cover! Now will we see a picture of you standing on it?
Rachel x

Pomona said...

It does make you wonder where the stool had been first! But an inspired transformation - genius!

Pomona x

Frances said...

It is so much fun (and inspiring, too) to look at your posts! You've got such a deft, light, knowing touch.

My visit was made possible by stopping by Snapdragon's place.

Best wishes.

Phillippa said...

You have put I us to shame again, I often return home to my fluffy puppy -aching arms dragging ugly finds to just leave them hidden till im in the mood to paint which happens about once a decade, soon I will be found with feet sticking out from under a pile of complete junk that if in the hands of a tif would be stunning funky and cool.......shame!

Diane said...

But is it a standable stool?

hanna said...

I need my fix about once a week too. I start feeling not well if it's been too long.
I love what you did with 'it'.
- thanks for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comment.
xx
Hanna

AppaloosaMoon said...

...perhaps you'll paint the pesky grays...PINK!?!

Tracy x said...

oh used dog you are a true drama queen and i LOVE you for it!

laundryetc said...

Good choice. You certainly have a nose for these things. I've had a block, how to use a washing line to display thing in my shop but it seems obvious for me to do so. Your picture inspires me to have a go.