Thursday, September 18

thursday, thirtysomething...

i knew i could rely upon my lovely readers to appreciate my 'nipple' issues...
today, i have other issues to be addressed.
it is all very well and lovely to imagine a outdoor party to which we all drool over when flicking through magazines, but i believe it is quite a different thing to actually 'pull it off'. my first issue for the day is 'cleaning' and 'squirreling' away the house...i have so far put in three hours of hard graft and have not noticed 'used dog' being the slightest bit of use...quite the opposite, as fast as i vacuum up the dog hair, she kindly comes behind me to deposit another little bundle...i also realize it is completely pointless and a waste of time to 'clean' and 'squirrel' when in a few hours the kids will come home and all my work will be undone...but none the less it must be done just incase a 'guest' at the party takes a wrong turn and ends up in my laundry room...

my second issue of the day is the weather, isn't it sod's law that after two weeks of non-stop (so sorry, dear brits) blooming sunshine, today it starts to 'mizzle' (is there such a word...i feel it was 'too light' a drop of water to say 'drizzle' so i felt 'mizzle' fitted the bill)...however, dear readers we will not let this put a damper on the proceedings.
the 'tent men' have arrived, i am ever so hopeful that a small marquee (sounds grand) will be put up against the back of the shed. of course i don't actually know whether this will be the case as i couldn't understand a word of what the guy said to me and it soon became apparent, he didn't understand a word that i was uttering (along with lots of arm waving, in the hope he would understand me better if i flapped a bit). only time will tell whether i have a small 20ft by 20ft canopy out the back or a cirque de soleil number...


to reward myself for spending way too much time up close with several toilet bowls and some stainless steel appliances...i defy anyone to tell me that they don't have a 'love/hate' relationship with stainless steel. i am way too lazy to spend each day polishing my kitchen appliances, therefore quite frankly if you were to drop by unannounced it would be true to say they 'look like crap' on any given day. but not today, oh no...today i got down on my hands and knees and polished the little buggers (dear god, my language this week is atrocious...forgive me, it is my age) till they were gleaming. of course 'used dog' followed behind leaving 'snotty' marks, good job i love her...okay, so i have totally digressed to the point of having to start my topic sentence again...so here goes,

to reward myself for spending my last 'thursday of youth' scrubbing loos i have set aside a quiet hour to catch up with my 'UK County Living' (september issue)...it's really rather lovely this month and well worth a 'ganders' if you come across it...i am coveting (is there such a word?) several things...

the raised beds,


the clothes,



the dahlia garden...


and the radio...


she's off to do a 'sun dance', possibly in just her undies...after all she's nearly 40 ~ Tif

7 comments:

roseroomnz.com said...

I have laughed and laughed and snorted my way through this happy little post!!! Happy last Thursday of youth to you. I am sure the marquee putter upper man would be thrilled if you did a happy dance in your knickers. Speaking of which, I do hope you have gone and got yourself some new ones for the grand day!!!! Rachaelxo p.s something frothy and frivalous! p.p.s I am quite partial to a bit of bad language!!!!

Ben's wife said...

just to lower the tone from country living, marquees and all that jazz, i couldn't help noticing the lady in the blue cardi is having some kind of nipple issue too. is this a new theme?

bigbucketgirl said...

A marque, a tent, a teepee..even a mere awning couldn't spoil your day to come i'm sure...your hilarious sense of humour will see you through!

Congratulations on seeing it through with the stainless steel....a task i leave for the kids to do as pennance!

Anonymous said...

That issue of CL is lovely - I think the designer and photographer had their own way with it entirely as it looks very spiffington from a layout point of view (chucks design hat off) oooh chatreuse or mustard or olive or whatever you are called - I do love you.

Your marquee sounds very grand and totally worthy of an outdoor pants dance - what with carbonated cuisine, nipple bags and dahlias I can see you're revving up to something spectacular for your 40's. And if the mizzle persists you can alway refer to it as expensively imported Highland Mist.

E

p.s. bugger surely doesn't count as you can use it so affectionately? "Aww come on you old bugger" when said to an elderly dog usually gets a raffish doggy grin and a bit of an arthritic shuffle ....

Michelle said...

oh to spend a thursday like that!!!
stainless steel is a bugger to clean."window cleaner"
can work just as well.but when i worked in a hospital and had lots of it to clean we used ajax which is like a white creme liquid powder and srub on then wipe of with lots of wet cloths then buff dry...sounds painfull? yes very much so...
p.s mizzle...surely it should be a new dottie addition to the dictionary...

gayle said...

You are so funny 'last thursday of youth'! I have 4 raised beds which are indeed wonderful. There is something less challenging about their nearness, compared to the low old ground! Yes, and mizzle is a word, as is 'drouky'. I think that is quite Irishy though.

Violette Crumble said...

Why doesn't someone at Country Living come do a story on your house? The photos from your party are certainly worthy.

Happy birthday, and be happy that you reached your lovely age with all your kids out of infancy :)