Monday, September 15

party planner...

there is only one way to deal with your last monday of being 'thirty something' and that is to not dwell on it...i have a few days to myself as my in-laws are on a boat trip and so i must prepare for the 'big day' on saturday...

last week 'passed by' in a blur of 'garden centers' and 'gardening' but sadly none of this...i know some of you will not want to hear this but we are going into our thirteenth day of blue skies and lovely temperatures...my sun dresses have enjoyed a revival from the back of the closet and my razor has been spurred back into action.
amongst the 'jollies' that i took my in-laws to was a 'u-cut' dahlia farm...i now know it is my destiny to fill one of my veggie patches full of dahlias so that i may 'waft' out of my shed each morning and cut a flower to put 'oh so effortlessly' into a vase whilst having little hens pecking around my ankles...in the meantime i placed the lovely dahlias upon my mantlepiece to remind me that this must be achieved before i turn 'forty one' next year (oh god, doesn't that sound scary...)


so this week i am planning a party, no point in pretending that the 'big four- 0' will ignore me and pass on to someone else...the count down is on, i have lived my last saturday and sunday as a young, care free 'thirty nine' year old and must face the fact that next saturday and sunday i will living as a grown up 'forty' year old...

i knew back in the summer that i must prepare for this up and coming event and so decided to throw a party...according to the magazine i was reading at the time (showing me beautiful pictures of what my party should look like), i needed to start planning two months in advance. apparently if i do this, the party is bound to be a success...sadly i started planning my party two weeks before the big day, i am hoping there was a miss print in the article and that it really meant two weeks...

whilst thinking about my list of 'to dos' for friday night i will spend my last monday of 'youth' buying weetabix cereal, returning a soccer shirt that was too big and nursing a sick child...i really know how to 'live it up'...

she's wondering if it's still okay to serve up cheese cubes and pickled onions on sticks ~ Tif

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

no, cheese and pickles are so last season darling, but I believe you can still serve cheese and pineapple chunks. and damp vol-u vents.

gayle said...

Didn't you know? That is so now! Good luck with the prep. I am planning my 4 year olds curtains and want to try something like you do, yet inspiration is sadly lacking. Enjoyed catching up with your blog again.

Gigi said...

Beautiful dahlias -- we don't get them much here in my neck of the woods.
Don't worry about turning 40 -- there's nothing to it -- prime of your life. Oops, do I sound like Miss Jean Brody ;-), but it's true. Life just gets better as we become more comfortable in our own skin -- bien sur?
Georganna
50+ years in Texas

Anonymous said...

don't forget the pineapple/cheddar combo on sticks too. and happy birthday for saturday xx

cupcake studio said...

Oh my word! Those dahlias are sooo pretty! (And...I turned 41 this year...it wasn't THAT bad. I think 40 is the new 20...or something like that :)

roseroomnz.com said...

Its not all bad, 40's are quite fun once you get over the 'hump' of getting there. I do love a good cheese and picked onion on a stick cocktail!!! Rachaelxo

Anonymous said...

Heee!! I turned 50 last year and all of the 'silly' things I like have suddenly turned into 'eccentricities' and feel very grand and considered (when in reality it's more - oooh sparkly). The dahlias are lovely - dispense with buffet food in favour of a fabulous cake and bubbly.

E

Michelle said...

for all the kind words i received before my 40th like "you don't look 40, 40 your just a pup" etc etc.. it was still hard and emotional for me...now the "hump" is getting smaller i don't really think about it to much and try to get on with all the fun things to do like washing,schooling,working and dying the grey in my hair...
love the dahlias my nanna would grow them every year and they looked stunning..i have a little poem on my blog about it...slighty sad but meaningfull to me...

Unknown said...

Remember your cheese and onion sticks need to be stuck into a big ole potato wrapped in tin foil! No party is complete without this centrepiece...

Anonymous said...

The flowers are gorgeous. I love dahlias.