Friday, March 12

dottie angel and her dearies....

i thought today would be the most perfect day to talk about my up and coming workshop.


("why is that Tif?" i hear you ask)
and that is indeed a very good question, why today of all days is it the day to talk of such things.
well firstly, because it is raining and dull outside,
secondly, because it's been a while since i dropped it into the conversation and quite honestly if i am going to fill my dottie angel dearie places i need to do some 'blabbing'
and
thirdly, what could possibly brighten up a day more than talking about crafting.
so if you are sitting comfortably, then i will get on with the nitty gritty...

the lovely Angela of ritchie ace camps contacted me a while ago, asking me if i would be interested in heading up a workshop.


i thought, oooh that's lovely, me just chit chatting for an hour, showing a little something and then going home to the safety of my shed.
the lovely Angela of ritchie ace camps then contacted me to say that wasn't exactly what she had in mind, what she was thinking was a two day workshop with three nights stay in a luxury old house in Seattle, with me teaching...

well right there and then you can imagine dearest readers i sat back in my eames swivelling desk chair and pondered,
then i paced,
then i started to get a little sick feeling
and
then i got a little excited feeling...
surely to be given an opportunity such as this was incredible.
to be asked to have my very own dottie angel workshop retreat was a show stopper in my books.

i then remembered how 2010 was my risk taking year and surely this would count as my biggest yet.
so i emailed the lovely Angela back and said "yes! i would love to", shaking as i pressed the send button.
and then the cogs began to turn, the wheels were set in motion,




i had the opportunity to share all that i love about recycled fabrics, lace, doilies and dottie angel with a group of lovelies... i can't think of anything i would rather do more.

it will be a small group, as i told Angela i wasn't sure i had the makings of someone who could stand in front of a huge crowd (by huge i mean more than 10) and talk,
so 10 was my magic cut off number.
i figured this out by looking at my family, i talk to 5 people everyday quite easily, it's not a big amount of people, rather cozy and nice.
i doubled my 5 that live with me and thought that sounds the perfect number...

i am actually tres thrilled at the idea of a dottie angel retreat, i believe it is going to be a wonderful weekend...
did i ever see myself as a teacher of sorts? no i did not,
do i think i have the makings of a teacher of sorts? i think i do
do i know what the weekend will involve? yes i do...

everyone will arrive at the beautiful Shuey House in Seattle on the friday afternoon of September 24th 2010,
we will settle into our accommodation and get to know each other around a lovely large dining table with food prepared by Angela,
which i am thinking is a huge relief for anyone taking part, including myself.
day one of the workshop, the Saturday, will see us starting work on our slips, customizing them dottie angel style




so we may look suitably lovely for our final meal at the end of the weekend.

in the afternoon we will begin work on customizing our thrift store stools,



now this could be a little tricky for those that are travelling from afar,
but not to worry, for i will be happy to provide an alternative, in the way of an apron wrap or sunshine sack project.

in the evening after a wonderful dinner, we will be sitting down to a film and some crocheting.
i will be sharing a simple 'how to' crocheted patchwork blanket, dottie angel style, if crocheting is not in your repertoire, do not fret, i will help you learn.

sunday morning is earmarked for making whatnot recycled garlands out of our scraps...




after lunch we will work on finishing up all our projects in time for a photo shoot 'dottie angel' style, so all dearies may have a reminder of their eclectic handcrafted weekend with moi and dottie angel.
in my mind i see a row of dearies, either upon their stools or standing with apron wrap and slips, garlands strewn all around and a picture taken by Carlos my trusty camera.


a record of the moment that i took a risk along with 10 other lovely dearies, and it was indeed a risk worth taking...
we will finish our day with dinner, dressed in all our fine attire and another evening of crocheting.

and if by chance you are reading this and thinking,


"oh this sounds just peachy, something i would love to do but i'm a little shy about coming on my own"
do not worry,
do not be a little shy
for i too would feel the same...
but you will be amongst friends,
already the lovely Jessie of SweetJessie is coming from afar
and wonderful Rita, who pops into my shop from time to time, she is coming on her own from Toronto!
some brave souls indeed...


and lastly if you do have an interest, but lots of questions are popping in your head then you are welcome to email me and i will do my besty best to answer them...
at the end of the day, my hopes for this workshop is to show how i make things,
how my process of working with my materials is...
i have a very 'hands on', where will it take me approach.
i love nothing more than to cut and patch with vintage fabrics.
i rarely read rules
and
i find, that in it's self quite freeing.
allowing me to just go with the flow and take all the unloved forgotten souls i come across and give them a new life...
be it fabric
doilies
yarn
or
little souls
each of them talk to me in their own way


i hope to pass this on, to show my enthusiasm for what i love most and inspire my dottie angel dearies to go back home to their nests and take what they have learnt and make it their own...

she is thanking you most very kindly once again for making her shop update a success and for always inviting her in for pea soup ~ Tif

32 comments:

Claire Mackaness said...

Oh how sad am I for I would love to some and join you but alas plane tickets from London to Seattle are beyond my reach :-(

Are you ever planning on coming back to sunny blighty? It would be amazing to partake in a weekend of peachy vintage fun.

Tara said...

this sounds just absolutely LOVELY - like the perfect gift any crafty-gal could give to herself: learning new techniques and styles in the setting of a dottie angel slumber party weekend! oh i do hope i can swing it!

best,
tara
http://elanvitalanthology.blogspot.com

mary said...

Since I heard about this incredible workshop on Sweet Jessie's blog I have been dreaming and scheming about how I can turn this into the perfect birthday present to myself. And then the taxman came calling.... And I thought about airfare from Oakland.... And I realized I would have to use two days of sick leave which I really need for when my little boys are sick.... But, oh, my heart is there even if my resources aren't. I will feast upon the photos and hope for summer timing next year! :)

Jessie said...

I'm so terribly excited!! A weekend filled with crafting vintage fabric and good food and friends I haven't met yet - sounds just perfect!

Stitchy said...

Oh my gosh, It's going to be a hoot! I really commend you for being so brave and going ahead with it all. Everyone's going to have so much fun!

alexlynnsmith said...

Ah Tif!! Sad I am today to learn of such communal 'glee' and fabric- based frivolity taking place in the glorious Seattle region, come September month. Whyso? It is that, while i am sure i could overcome a little 'shyness' to join you( and
would dearly love to learn of your Dottie Angel Ways) i cannot overcome the large stretch of water-not to mention a little land also-which divides us.
How I wonder when you might take on the riskier venture of a 'Gleeshop' in Blighty? Perhaps next year? Do think about it dearest. I would be delighted to bring out the silver teaspoons for such an event.
I will wait patiently,
and wish you all the best from afar.
Alex :)

emma said...

oh, how I wish I lived closer...I hope your weekend is lovely, as I'm sure it will be. I must say, you're much braver than me.

mel @ loved handmade said...

It all sounds so fabulous,wish I could be there...

AshleyAnn said...

I am in love with everything on your blog. I want to cover my house in your creations! I visited your etsy store hoping to find a banner with vintage sheets and doilies...two of my favorite things. Maybe I'll find one there later. Just had to say how beautiful your work it...I just linked to it under 'my lovelies' on my blog.

Paula Clare said...

Oh how WONDERFUL, dottie...I wonder if you could do an online class or two for those of us who would LOVE to go but live far, far away? It would be oh so lovely if you would?!@?! Please keep us posted! Hugs and drool,
Paula Clare

Jo Archer said...

Congratulations, you'll do just fine! Like Claire, I was wondering if you could fit in a workshop when you're back in old Blighty?

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

It is certainly going to be a most fabulous weekend of crafty creativity. Congrats to the lucky 10 who are so fortunate to make it to Seattle. Sounds like a most wonderful place to spend time. Many blessings, Tammy

soisses-dasleben said...

would love to be your neighbour! your stuff is sooooo GREAT - cannot find words... i LOVE that little chair. fantastic!

Nicky said...

Oh, I would so love to join you but I'm in the UK and SO far away. I will just have to pretend!
Thank you for your lovely blog - it truly brightens my days xxx

hlimbrick said...

Oh gollers, if only I didn't live in a silly place called Devon in a silly country called England (neither are all that silly, but let's pretend they are on this occassion). This sounds like an absolute dream. Hey ho, I hope that you shall put up photos so I could pretend that I was there.. Good luck with it all! :-)
Ps, incase I forgot to say before - thank you for all the granny inspiration on your blog - I have finally learnt to do granny squares and am now making my second cushion cover, yess!

Unknown said...

Sigh. It sounds lovely. :-)

Connie said...

Oh yes please if only I could, but my legs wont walk that far!!! from the UK, I can always dream I am there, have fun x

marian said...

oh it sounds like a weekend of utter BLISS..i am ssoo very THRILLED for you Tif!! alas i come from the land downunder so i cannot participate in person :( however, i will be there in spirit :)

Dajda said...

The workshop sounds lovely!

dottie angel said...

thank you so kindly for you workshop comments... for now i am concerntrating on this one in Seattle. who knows if a time will come when i can do one in old blighty during the summer, it does sound like a grand idea. as for online, well that doesn't appear to be something i would consider for the time being... alas i have too many fingers in too many pies (not my own homemade ones, of course) to beable to pull it off :)

beachvintage.com said...

Gee I wish I wasnt so far away.....I would love to attend. Are you sure you wont consider a cyber workshop????

mamas collection said...

FYI: I do believe that you should gird yourself for a larger crowd in the future. You do realize that people shall 'want' you on a circuit riding type of thing, speaking to more of Dottie Angel devotees from farther away places...Such as my crafting retreat in far,far away Southern Indiana?....Develop an amount of filthy lucre that could lure you away to climes unknown....Hmmmmmm?

Anonymous said...

Hooray for sticking to the Challenge; the reward could be a tip top credit rating. Was hoping one of the diversions was More beautiful
Button Cards in your Shop. Maybe
in time for filling Easter Baskets?

meghan said...

I have those birds, but mine are blue. ;)

Poppy and Lime said...

This sounds like my absolute dream come true and I wish I wasn't so far away. Thank you for your inspiring blog - I love it.

Mitzi Curi said...

Tif, I think your creations are splendid! The banner is just great, and I think the crocheted bowl is genius! I have a bottle of Stiffy Fabric Stiffener and a pile of crocheted doilies, so who knows what might happen by the end of today!

Amy Seager said...

I think your blog is the most beautiful, adorable and inspirational blog I have ever seen! It is just stunning and makes me wish I was as clever as you at all the gorgeous things you make! I WISH i lived in Seattle as I would SO be there! Do you ever teach online?

Thanks for sharing such an inspiringly wonderful blog!

Aimee
x

paola: mirrormirror said...

Why did I never realise before that you too are a Brit, in Seattle? *must pay closer attention to blogs I read*

beki said...

eek! i just signed up....now I'm waiting on a reply!

Beatrice McClelland said...

I would love to be part of this amazing weekend. I live in Miami and would basically travel anywhere if the workshop is interesting and inspiring,,,and this one sounds like one that I can would really relate to. I am one of those shy introverts you talk about, but I too am trying to take risks and open myself up to truly creative venues and your workshop sounds like it's a good fit. I sent you an email and I'm waiting on the details. Even if nothing comes of this and want you to know you have incredible style and it looks like from the outside looking in that you are having a wonderful time making really beautiful pieces.

Bee

Claire Gale said...

sad very sad that your workshop is all the way over there and i'm all the way over here. please be sure to let us all know how it goes. lucky lucky you and the 10 ladies, you'll have a ball:)

Lilja said...

I DO love the way you are dressed in the second catch...You pictures are so inspiring!