Wednesday, September 7

our gladys, you are the bees knees...

one fine day three years ago, Gladys came to live at the bottom of our yard. she had no inners, holes in her roof and sides, a coat of dodgy brown paint inside her shell and a floor of forest green plywood. she came with many things i wish she did not, but one thing she came with was potential, and that was all i needed to know one day she would have a little moment to shine.

Gladys has patiently sat waiting for that moment, through rain, hail, snow and sun, she has bided her time. slowly growing a coat of green on her silvery good looks and sinking gradually into the moss below... never complaining, just looking back at me every day as i look at her through my kitchen back door. i knew things had reached an all time low for Gladys when my man took to storing the chicken straw in her inners.

then one fine and dandy day this summer a miracle happened. Our #3 said "when are we going to do up Gladys? i would help you know" and then Our #4 piped in with a "yes, we can put a telly in her" and that was all i needed to be stirred into action. i replied with a "if you help me then you can claim her inner space as your own"
and so began many hours filled with sheets of metal, piles of rivets, pots of duck egg blue paint and a pile of faux flooring tiles. i must tell you it was rather nice 'me and my lads of three' spending quality time together until the moment we stepped back late this past monday evening and saw Our Gladys beginning to shine.


of course it was at that moment i was overcome with a need to claim Gladys back for myself, for now she was so peachy looking. i could not help myself... so as my boys placed the couch one end of her, to see if telly watching in Gladys would be grand, i asked in a little 'pretty please' voice, if i may claim a little corner for myself. they sighed, knowing it would be impossible to keep me out. of course my lads could have said "no, on your bike mother" but i am delighted to report they did no such thing. for perhaps a little voice inside their heads mentioned the clean undies and the hot orange meals which miraculously appear everyday.




 they gave me one end, the perfect end with a handy dandy shelf above the clock for forsaken thrifted souls to spend quality time. i have many dreams for my little end such as pasting a few pictures and papers on the wall and perhaps a rug for underfoot.





yes indeed, i wish to 'twiddle' with Gladys like i have never wished to twiddle with anything before, but it must wait, for i need to turn my attention to something more pressing over the coming days. but in between said pressing moments i can be found with a nice cuppa tea, in Our Gladys, looking back at Mossy Shed and yes, why not, counting my chickens because that is what i have become. an obsessive mother hen who counts her chickens every ten minutes and as always, her blessings.

she is stitching for The Creative Connection and doing more counting, this time counting out her clean undies ~ Tif

32 comments:

2SewRetro said...

I love Gladys! Enjoy your little corner and I will live vicariously through you, pretending that it is mine.:) How sweet of your boys to allow you a little spot inside. :) Sounds like a fun and rewarding project!

Jo said...

Oh WOW, Gladys truly is the bees knees! You must have put in many an hour of hard work to get her looking so scrumptious. Thanks for sharing your caravan eye candy :)

Vicki K. said...

They will be SO glad they allowed you a little space when you bring them some Tasty Orange Snacks...

It is so beautiful - such a worthwhile project to have spent with your children.

Trisha Brink Design said...

I am IN LOVE!!! Gladys you sly thing...oh how I dream to have someone just like you come and live in my yard! ;)
xx
T.
SO happy for you Tif, wishing you all the best...and enough time to enjoy your new re-found friend! :)

Naomi~ said...

Gladys is absolutely gorgeous - I don't blame you for wanting to reclaim her! It was sweet that your boys allowed you a corner.

It's always been a dream of mine to have an Airstream - and this is a real inspiration! Perhaps one day...

Daisy said...

What a perfect place to twiddle. Enjoy. :) x

Ashley said...

wow, you have got Gladys looking good.

Teresa Kasner said...

Oh Tif, love what you've begun with the clean and pretty interior of your Airstream! And she looks gorgeous outside too! Will she be a static caravan, or will you outfit her for travels? We're at the beach right now in our trailer.. and the weather is perfection!
((hugs)), Teresa :-)
PS. Have fun at your big convention!!

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

How lovely to see Gladys looking so swish and bright :o)

You've all done a grand job, and will make the most beautiful crafty space...
I have been hankering after a crafty van too, but i think that may be all I can do...

Have a fantastic time at the Craft event.
Take care.xx

Sécia Mischke said...

Love that wood floor.

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

noknittedknickers said...

Oh you lucky duck. She's sooooo pretty. C.x

Grateful4Crochet said...

It's lovely that Gladys has people to love her and sit in her

Pippin Lane said...

Well i say! I am super duper so in love with Gladys, she is sooooo lovely.......lucky you, and lucky boys too.
Humpf......am going to go and dwell on your lovely Gladys wishing one day i will have one just like her too!
Nattie x

Carol said...

Eee Gladys, tha's looking a reet bonny lass.
Carol xx

sky-blu-pink said...

Gladys is looking fine and dandy! Gladys was my Nannie's name - she would have been proud to give her name to such a magnificent room. What a lovely place to sit and create, whilst your lads of three sit with you doing boys' things!

Nicole said...

Oh wow! What an amazing little hide out to have at the bottom of the garden, this must be a lovely place to get away and crochet :-D

Michelle Clement said...

Oh, she's lovely, Tif!! :) What the perfect little spot to enjoy your tea. :)

Debby said...

I love your Gladys. I bet she was made in Jackson Center Ohio. Do you know what year. I think I mentioned before that my brother was the personal manager there and my mom did the upholstry work for the trailers. I love it all gutted and turned into a fun place. Make them share with you.

Unknown said...

Gladys is gorgeous! :)

dottie angel said...

oh Gladys and myself are positively beaming with your kind words...
as she was a gutted shell, (sorry Gladys that does sound rather horrid) she was far more affordable then one with their inners. she will never be towed again, at least not by us. she has many dings and dents on the outside which seem to disappear when you look through the rose coloured lens of frankly frank, but i think there is something quite magically about having a hide out at the bottom of the yard. be it a shed, a lean to, a trailer or boat with a lid. brings out the child in all of us... and worthy of many a hour spent twiddling, crocheting and putting the world to rights

Tif x

Bonnie said...

such a lovely idea! I love your little space! I wish I had a hide out!

julie said...

gladys is sooo gorgeous - i just want to move in!! xxxx

Michelle Walker said...

Oh i love her!!! you truly are one lucky ducky!!!
Mxo

Sally Waters said...

Gorgeous Gladys - wow! Enjoy her x

emma said...

oh, it's wonderful tif! I must admit, I was wondering what was happening on the inside of gladys, as I've caught glimpses of her outside many times. You give me great hope for the little mouldy van sitting in my driveway...I can (just) see the light at the end of the tunnel!

carrad said...

Gladys is wonderful - I want a Gladys! xxx

Allie'peachy'jane Young said...

We own an Eco airstream called daisy, which we go to on weekends. She was imported and we love her more than anything. Sometimes I wish we could live in her all the time!!!! Eco you may ask? Yuppp she has solar pannels, upcycled flooring and furnishings. We are in the process of fitting a woodburing stove. She is at a friends Eco farm and she lives quite happily!!!!! amgost the goats. So roll on Friday!!!! Sending Airstream Love !!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a lovely caravan. Gladys is gorgeous.

Dawn x

kathleen said...

she's perfection, a gleaming silver beacon of peace in your own backyard. LOVE!

dottie angel said...

many thanks for the Gladys appreciation my dearies!

NestingEmily said...

Sooo pretty. What a wonderful place to dream and create!

Dana said...

oh my gosh! Gladys is just lovely!!!! I have always wanted one of my own, just to have a little place in the world...this makes me want one more than EVER!! Perfect!!!